Joohn Calder

Default Cells That Appear Empty?

Hi

I run Windows 2000 with Excell 2000. I have recently downloaded a large
amouth of data from an Access Database and put in to an Excel spreadsheet.
There are numerous blank cells scattered throughout the data. I discovered
that when doing some formuals that referenced these cells I was getting
errors. I soon discovered that ifI deleted the contents of the blank cell
this would fix the problem, so obviously there is something in the cells that
I cannot see. At first I thought it was probably a "space" that was in the
cell but this was not the case. I also thought maybe it was white formatted
text but this was also not the case. When the curser in in the cell there is
nothing showing in the edit bar. What I did notice was that if I just
"placed" the curser on the cell and placed the curser in the edit bar and
selected ok then it would remove the contents of the cell (whatever they were)

As anyone any ideas on "what" and how I can remove these "invisible" entries
easily without doing it indiviually. I could just sort each column of the
database then delete everthing below the data but as there are many columns
this would take a long time.

Thanks

RagDyer

You can try and use "Edit & Replace", *AFTER* you identify the invisible
character.

Say one of these cells was D10.
Enter this in an unused cell:

=CODE(D10)

The value that's returned (32, 10, 160, ... whatever), is what you need to
remove (replace).

Check another of these cells to make sure that they're the same.

NOW, select your range, and:
<Edit <Replace

In the "Find What" box,
Hold down <Alt, and using the num keypad, *NOT* the numbers under the
function keys, enter the *4* digit code that your formula returned:
0032
0010
0160

Of course, nothing will display in the "Find What" box, since these *are
invisible* codes!

Don't put anything in the "Replace With" box.

Then click <Replace All.

This should convert your empty "looking" cells to be truly empty.
--
HTH,

RD

"Joohn Calder" <Joohn wrote in message
[...]

Joohn Calder

Thanks for the quick response

I tried puting the formula you suggested in an empty cell [ =CODE(D10) ] but
it returns a #VALUE! value.

Any other ideas?

"RagDyer" wrote:

[...]

RagDyer

Is cell D10 one of your problem cells?

I just used it as an example.
It would be one *very big* coincidence if it *was* one of your problem
cells!

A #VALUE! error means the cell of reference is *empty*.

RD

"RagDyer" wrote:

[...]

RagDyer

Right now, I don't know if you solved your problem , or not!?!?

"RagDyer" wrote:

Is cell D10 one of your problem cells?

I just used it as an example.
It would be one *very big* coincidence if it *was* one of your problem
cells!

A #VALUE! error means the cell of reference is *empty*.

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"RagDyer" wrote:

[...]

Bill Ridgeway

If you go to edit a 'blank' cell you may find ' in the cell already. This
is used at the start of the cell to indicate left alignment and in that
position it is a non-printable character. (A second instance would be
printable). These are imported as a filler when importing data (I know not
why) and can cause some confusion.

One way (?the best way) to eliminate these is to sort each column (for ease
of bringing them all together) and pasting a true blank cell over them. The
problem with this is that when sorted back, you will have discontinuous
columns and rows and thing like <Shift<Page<Down will take you to the
boundary of a blank / used cell not the extreme of the column or row.
Sorting and other functions may also be affected.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

[...]

Ken Wright

Use Dave McRitchie's Trimall macro anytime you import data externally and it
will clear out all the garbage that can often come with it. Takes a second
or so at the most, and it's one I just wouldn't be without now.

Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03