MATTNOOVE

Default Basketball/Any Sport League Table

I know the basics of Excel, but the more different things i try to do,
the more complicated the whole thing gets.

Anyway, My main aim is to create a league table. so far i have an excel
spreadsheet with an entire seasons worth of info in it,aswell as 18
teams worth of individual team performance, so the crowning glory would
be a league table. but i am stumped.

i have created a new sheet with all of the teams on and used COUNTIF to
count win, lose or draw from the relevant sections. The problem now is
how to ask excel to differentiate between win and draw in terms of the
number of points awarded for each occurance.
Once that is figured out, i want the individual teams to move
automatically along with all of their respective information so the
team with the most points is at the top etc. and if possible to then
calculate goal difference being the next deciding factor in terms of
rank.

with any luck someone has already asked this particular 'poser' and it
will therefore be fairly simple to explain.

if not, if there are any incredibly intelligent ladies or gents out
there who can help shed a little light on the subject i would be very
grateful.

--
MATTNOOVE
MATTNOOVE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24916

Bernie Deitrick

Use a Pivot Table, with your data table as the source.

With just your data, you can only sort on one factor (points). So you need to add a calculated
field, which should be based on a formula like = Points + GDiff/100

Then you can sort on that calculated field, and all should be well.

I have a sample workbook that I can send you if you are confused - email me privately by taking out
the spaces and changing the dot to .

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"MATTNOOVE" wrote in message

[...]

Bob Phillips

Have a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"MATTNOOVE" wrote
in message ...

[...]

MATTNOOVE

Bernie,
Thanks for the advice. However, could you tell me your e-mail again, i
didnt understand what you meant!!!

--
MATTNOOVE
MATTNOOVE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24916
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384543

MATTNOOVE

Bob,
thanks for the web address. My companies security system prevents me
from downloading the zip file. do you happen to have any example
spreadsheets that i cuold access.
Regards

--
MATTNOOVE
MATTNOOVE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24916
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384543

Bob Phillips

If your company allows attachments via email, I could mail it to you. Just
give me your email addy.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"MATTNOOVE" wrote
in message ...

Bob,
thanks for the web address. My companies security system prevents me
from downloading the zip file. do you happen to have any example
spreadsheets that i cuold access.
Regards

--
MATTNOOVE
MATTNOOVE's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384543

Bob Phillips

It's in the post. Let me know if/when you get it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"MATTNOOVE" wrote
in message ...

Hi Bob,
My E-mail address is below. Thanks in advance.

--
MATTNOOVE
MATTNOOVE's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384543