leonperrins

Default How do I increase the number of additions etc.from 30

It appears that I cannot add up more than 30 cells at a time.

Is this true and/or is there a way round it?
Bill Ridgeway

Definitely FALSE.

How are you trying to add? If your formula is something like =a1+a2+a3..
you may have hit the ?255 character maximum for a formula. If the cells you
want to add are in a contiguous block(s) it would be better to use something
like =sum(a1:z999).

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"leonperrins" wrote in message
It appears that I cannot add up more than 30 cells at a time.

Is this true and/or is there a way round it?

leonperrins

Hello Bill,
I,m trying to analyse a 'phone bill so they are straight additions but not
contiguous.
I found the following:-
Adds all the numbers in a range of cells.

Syntax

SUM(number1,number2, ...)

Number1, number2, ... are 1 to 30 arguments for which you want the total
value or sum.

How do I change the "255" figure?

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

Definitely FALSE.

How are you trying to add? If your formula is something like =a1+a2+a3..
you may have hit the ?255 character maximum for a formula. If the cells you
want to add are in a contiguous block(s) it would be better to use something
like =sum(a1:z999).

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"leonperrins" wrote in message
It appears that I cannot add up more than 30 cells at a time.

Is this true and/or is there a way round it?

Dave Peterson

The limit is 1024 (when in R1C1 reference style).

You could use:

=sum(sum(a1,b1),sum(e1,g1),sum(q1,v1)

You can use 30 arguements in each sum().

If the cells that are in the range are non-numeric, you can still use:
=sum()

It'll ignore those text entries.

--

Dave Peterson
Bob Phillips

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
The limit is 1024 (when in R1C1 reference style).

You could use:

=sum(sum(a1,b1),sum(e1,g1),sum(q1,v1)

A little more simply with

=SUM((a1,b1,c1, etc),(e1,g1, etc))

that is group them within the SUM itself