Slabtamer

Default How do I use the custom list option?

I am trying to sort faculty records by position in Excel and am having some
trouble. The usual sort options don't seem relevent, so I have a hunch that I
need to configure a custom list. I would like the records to appear in the
following order: Full, Associate, Assistant, Instructor. If anyone could shed
some light on this for me, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thank you.
Peo Sjoblom

Put the words you want in the list in the right order

Full
Associate
Assistant
Instructor

select the range with the words, do toolsoptionscustom lists, click
import, click OK

Now when you sort, click options, from dropdown in sort order select your
list, click OK twice, done

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Slabtamer" wrote in message
I am trying to sort faculty records by position in Excel and am having some
trouble. The usual sort options don't seem relevent, so I have a hunch
that I
need to configure a custom list. I would like the records to appear in the
following order: Full, Associate, Assistant, Instructor. If anyone could
shed
some light on this for me, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

Ragdyer

Enter your list in a column, in the sort order you're looking to create.

Then select the entire list, then.
<Tools <Options <CustomLists

Since your list is already selected, just click on the "Import" button, then
<OK.

Now, when it comes time to sort, click the "options" button in the Sort
window,
Choose your list in the key sort window,
Then <OK <OK

Since the "CustomList" can only be used for the first sort key, you'll have
to repeat the sort process as many times as you have sort orders, and you
must do them in reverse, from minor to major.
--
HTH,

RD