FourPenny

Default join columns, keep both values

I have a multicolumn database with text entries. I want to join the
cells in Col. B with the cells in Col.C and keep all the text. For
instance, B3 may be "1N", C3 may be "4W". I want the combined column
to read "1N 4W". How do I do this?!? TNX.

--
FourPenny
FourPenny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23864

olasa

Try this:
=B3&" "&C3 --"1N 4W"

Ola

--
olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760

FourPenny

I assume that the last part of the suggested entry, ie the arrow,
represents the result and is not part of the formula.
So the formula: What cell is it entered for? I mean, do I click on B3
so that it's entered for that cell? And do I have to enter the formula
(revised for the particular cells) for every entry under Cols B & C?
There are hundreds of them.
Sorry to be dense. Your help is greatly appreciated.

--
FourPenny
FourPenny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23864
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375062

BenjieLop

FourPenny Wrote:
I assume that the last part of the suggested entry, ie the arrow,
represents the result and is not part of the formula.
So the formula: What cell is it entered for? I mean, do I click on B3
so that it's entered for that cell? And do I have to enter the formula
(revised for the particular cells) for every entry under Cols B & C?
There are hundreds of them.
Sorry to be dense. Your help is greatly appreciated.

The formula suggested by Ola

=B3&\" \"&C3

can be entered in, say, Cell D3. Assuming that you have entries up to
Cells B100 and C100, copy this formula until in D3 until you reach
Cell D100.

To do this (copying formula until D100),

1. go to cell D3 and position your cursor to the right bottom corner of
the cell
2. as soon as you see a crosshair (" + "), click your mouse (don't
release it)
3. drag down until you reach Cell D100
4. as soon as you reach Cell D100, release the mouse.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375062

FourPenny

Got it. Must join the two in another cell. Thanks very much.

--
FourPenny
FourPenny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23864
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375062

BenjieLop

You're welcome ... thanks for the feedback.

Regards.