dxm

Default Keeping running totals

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me with this:

My spreadsheet keeps simple statistics of how many calls are received
in a given week ("B2"), the total for the month ("C2"), and an overall
total (which includes all calls since we started keeping track;
displayed in "E2").

B2 C2 E2
Current May Overall
Week Total Total

What I would like to happen is that the monthly and overall totals are
updated when I manually change the weekly number (i.e., a change in B2
makes appropriate changes in C2 and E2). I can't seem to get around
the circular reference problem of adding something to an existing value
and displaying it in that same cell.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
dxm
dxm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23761

gls858

dxm wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me with this:

My spreadsheet keeps simple statistics of how many calls are received
in a given week ("B2"), the total for the month ("C2"), and an overall
total (which includes all calls since we started keeping track;
displayed in "E2").

B2 C2 E2
Current May Overall
Week Total Total

What I would like to happen is that the monthly and overall totals are
updated when I manually change the weekly number (i.e., a change in B2
makes appropriate changes in C2 and E2). I can't seem to get around
the circular reference problem of adding something to an existing value
and displaying it in that same cell.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I would take a completely different approach. I would
have week 1 -52 in col A months Jan to Dec in col B-M
I would total the cols in row 53 and rows in col N and a grand
total for the year in N53.
this way every time you enter a value for the week the totals will
update and the values will be stored for future reference.
You can look back at the activity by week or chart it, what ever.

gls858
dxm

Thank you for your help - I will probably try that method. I had
"inherited" this format from a previous administrator (who had updated
every column and row manually) and was trying to add some actual
spreadsheet functions to make life easier. Thanks again.

--
dxm
dxm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23761
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374153

gls858

dxm wrote:
Thank you for your help - I will probably try that method. I had
"inherited" this format from a previous administrator (who had updated
every column and row manually) and was trying to add some actual
spreadsheet functions to make life easier. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

If you have other questions just post back. Someone here will help.
I'm outta here for the weekend :-)

gls858

Running Totals Pete New Users to Excel 2 March 23rd 05 09:37 AM
timesheet with running totals of overtime Gord Dibben Excel Worksheet Functions 0 January 25th 05 12:45 AM
running totals Mert Setting up and Configuration of Excel 1 December 11th 04 01:23 PM
RUNNING TOTALS eddie belfast Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 2nd 04 03:16 PM
running totals in a macro for each month idunnobutheregoes Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 8th 04 10:35 PM