Old May 23rd 05, 06:13 PM
CLR

You're welcome Rodney, and if you're happy with that solution that Max gave
you, super-great!....if not, as with everything else in Excel, "there is
another way".

It uses Data TextToColumns Delimited hyphen as delimiter......and
conversion to Text on both columns, then using "ASAP Utilities" to strip off
all Letter-characters, then one simple formula copied down for the division
and to convert back to numbers....=IF(B10,A1/B1,A1)*1.....could probably all
be done with a macro, if you had to do it frequently

For me, it's easier.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Rodney" wrote:

Thanks Domenic and CLR,
Have just downloaded the advice, have not tried it
(40,000 rows) and have to take off for football umpiring.
Shall return to report.
Assistance appreciated
Rodney

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old May 24th 05, 02:37 AM
Rodney

Roughly
latitude 30 06 South and longitude 116 38 East
(Perth, Western Australia)

(IIRC once voted the most boring city in Australia,
and.........I like it that way

I'll wave, next time I pass over on my way to Bkk

Rgds
Rodney

Old May 24th 05, 02:41 AM
Rodney

| You're welcome Rodney, and if you're happy with that solution that Max gave
| you, super-great!....if not, as with everything else in Excel, "there is
| another way".

Gee, Domenic,
I have already met with that.
I posted the solution against another offered on my Racing NG,
and I got comments like
"Far Canal!"
"Holy Spreadsheet, Batman!" etc etc.

In my usual Database NG, it was always a joy to see and
interpret different ways the spokes lead to the hub of a problem.

Best Regards
Rodney

Old May 24th 05, 03:14 AM
Max

Thanks ! Looks like we're in the same time zone
I'll wave, next time I pass over on my way to Bkk

Just drop a note when you' re somewhere over 1 22' N 103 45' E,
and with some luck, it'll land within my reach <bg
--
Rgds
Max

Old May 24th 05, 01:03 PM
Domenic

Rodney,

I'm not sure what you meant by "I have already met with that", but
Chuck, not me, posted the message below.

Old May 24th 05, 02:20 PM
Rodney

Oh?! sorry.
I'm one of those guys who harangues his wife for
hiding his glasses, when they're perched on top of my head all the time.
People who know me are used to it.

Old June 27th 05, 02:25 AM
Max

Here's a new link to the revised sample file
with the decomposed formulas in Sheet2:
http://www.savefile.com/files/9169505
File: 2_Rodney_newusers_Stripping_ConvertingData.xls
--
Rgds
Max

Old June 27th 05, 02:49 AM
Rodney

Gee, I thought I may be enjoying deja-vu there Max
I'll have a dekko
Thanks.
Can "Save File" be used to post images?
I often need to post Postage Stamp Images on the web,
(short time usage) and wondered if this may suffice?

Cheers

Old June 27th 05, 05:51 AM
Max

aha , you're still tracking this thread ? <bg
(the post was meant for the archives)

Can "Save File" be used to post images?

Probably so, but do check out the details/info on their home page ..
I just chanced upon the new site since discovering recently that the
previous file host (flypicture) appears to have removed all the sample files
posted, some a bit prematurely, it seems .. cheers.
--
Rgds
Max