CLR

You're welcome Rodney, and if you're happy with that solution that Max gave
you, super-great!....if not, as with everything else in Excel, "there is
another way".

It uses Data TextToColumns Delimited hyphen as delimiter......and
conversion to Text on both columns, then using "ASAP Utilities" to strip off
all Letter-characters, then one simple formula copied down for the division
and to convert back to numbers....=IF(B10,A1/B1,A1)*1.....could probably all
be done with a macro, if you had to do it frequently

For me, it's easier.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Rodney" wrote:

Thanks Domenic and CLR,
Have just downloaded the advice, have not tried it
(40,000 rows) and have to take off for football umpiring.
Shall return to report.
Assistance appreciated
Rodney

--