Junior Member

Default Using excel for web database entry

Hello all,

I have a question which may be way out of my depth (as I’m a beginner to excel formulas, scripts and queries). I’ve looked around, but I don’t feel as if I’ve found an answer to my question. Here’s what I’m dealing with:

My company has an online database which stores customer information after they’ve completed parts of an ordering process online. The customer then mails us a signed form with signed and dated contracts. After reviewing their documentation, I then go into the database (again, which is online), and 1) search for the customer via a unique ID number, 2) change their status via a pull down menu to “ACTIVE”, 3) enter the contract begin date, 4) press a button to save the changes and 5) press a button to print the confirmation certificates which brings up a downloaded PDF. Finally (6), I have to select the appropriate printer & tray to print these certificates on, as we use a special letterhead for that. I then repeat this process for a few dozen customers per day.

The process, while there is not difficult, is quite time consuming. What’s so bothersome is that I’m really only doing a few things: searching for the individual, changing their status to “active” from the pull-down and entering the contract begin date. But because the profile pages are so large it requires a lot of scrolling up and down the page.

So my question is if it is possible to write a script/query where I could enter the activation number and contract begin date into excel and then run the script/query that could take that data to the website and do the rest (search for the profile, change the status in the pull down, enter the contract begin date, “push” the button to save the changes, “push” the button to print, automatically select the printer parameters, finally repeating the process for every number on the list).

A couple notes: I’m on Windows XP, using Excel 2003 and the website is https (I’m not sure if that ‘secure’ status makes a difference).

I understand that, even if possible, this may be way too complex for a beginner like myself. If so, I completely understand as don’t want to cause anyone grief. If that is the case, perhaps you would all be willing to point me in the right direction of getting more educated? I really do want to learn about this stuff.

Thanks in advance for your willingness to share expertise.
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsieb View Post
[...]