Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default AND - OR

Is it just me, or are the AND and OR functions reversed logically? Is
there a tutorial somewhere on how to use them? The help files in
Excel are their usual confusing self.

Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Please give an example of cell values, formula, expected and actual result

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Is it just me, or are the AND and OR functions reversed logically? Is
there a tutorial somewhere on how to use them? The help files in
Excel are their usual confusing self.

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:57:26 -0700, RST Engineering wrote:

Is it just me, or are the AND and OR functions reversed logically? Is
there a tutorial somewhere on how to use them? The help files in
Excel are their usual confusing self.

In a blank cell, I typed
=AND(
and then pressed Ctrl-A. The wizard popped up, with the description
"Checks whether all arguments are TRUE, and returns TRUE if all
arguments are TRUE."

Can you explain a little bit more about which part of that is
confusing or why it looks "reversed" to you?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST Engineering View Post
Is it just me, or are the AND and OR functions reversed logically? Is
there a tutorial somewhere on how to use them? The help files in
Excel are their usual confusing self.

Jim
good explanation on AND, OR, NOT functions of excel, refer to this url

http://office-software.suite101.com/...not_true_false

all the best
__________________
Thanks
Bala
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Thu, 20 May 2010 22:56:29 -0400, Stan Brown
wrote:

In a blank cell, I typed
=AND(
and then pressed Ctrl-A.

All that does on my machine is select all cells. Excel 2003.

The wizard popped up, with the description
"Checks whether all arguments are TRUE, and returns TRUE if all
arguments are TRUE."

Can you explain a little bit more about which part of that is
confusing or why it looks "reversed" to you?

Perhaps it is because I don't know the correct syntax. That's mostly
why I asked if there was a tutorial somewhere.

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Thu, 20 May 2010 23:23:06 +0200, "Niek Otten"
wrote:

Please give an example of cell values, formula, expected and actual result

It was more a general question, not a specific instance. Is there a
tutorial somewhere? I think I'm starting to understand that the
function looks inside the parentheses to see if all of them are true
(AND) or if any one of them is true (OR) and returns a zero if false
and 1 if true.

Jim.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/and.php
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/or.php
Also you can Google for the excel "and & or" function
HTH
John