Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel format conversion

Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following
123456789 to 123-456-789
or
abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi
I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for them, but
doing it one by one will take me an eternity.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
you can get the numbers but the text, a solution is to use text to columns
and then insert columns everyt three other

"Aaron H" wrote:

Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following
123456789 to 123-456-789
or
abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi
I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for them, but
doing it one by one will take me an eternity.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

123456789 can be custom formatted 000-000-000

The letters not so easy.

You would need a helper column for that.

=LEFT(A1,3) & "-" & MID(A1,4,3) & "-" & RIGHT(A1,3)

Since the "numbers" are used as testual serial numbers you could skip the
custom format and use the same formula all the way down the list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 20 May 2010 10:23:01 -0700, Aaron H <Aaron
wrote:

Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following
123456789 to 123-456-789
or
abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi
I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for them, but
doing it one by one will take me an eternity.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Aaron
This works for numbers : =LEFT(A1,3)&-MID(A1,5,3)&-RIGHT(A1,3)
This one works for text and numbers, but your numbers are changed to text.
=LEFT(A2,3)&"-"&MID(A2,5,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A2,3)
HTH
John

"Aaron H" <Aaron wrote in message
Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following
123456789 to 123-456-789
or
abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi
I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for them, but
doing it one by one will take me an eternity.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Eduardo,
What I need is to add the dash every three caracters
Instead of 123456789 I need as a result 123-456-789

"Aaron H" wrote:

Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following
123456789 to 123-456-789
or
abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi
I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for them, but
doing it one by one will take me an eternity.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Excellent..........As long as you know that custom won't work with text.

Gord

On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:25:01 -0700, Aaron H
wrote:

Excellent... Thanks

"Aaron H" wrote:

Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following
123456789 to 123-456-789
or
abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi
I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for them, but
doing it one by one will take me an eternity.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=LEFT(A1,3) & "-" & MID(A1,4,3) & "-" & RIGHT(A1,3)

Or this slightly shorter alternate formula...

=REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,7,0,"-"),4,0,"-")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)