Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell

Default Date format conversion

How can I convert date entries like

Sep 1883 and Mar 1867 to dates that Excel will recognise please? At
present it's just treating them like alphanumeric strings.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Suresh

Excel recognises dates beginning 1 January 1900 only. I dont know if there
are any codes available out there to make this work.

"Terry Pinnell" wrote:

How can I convert date entries like

Sep 1883 and Mar 1867 to dates that Excel will recognise please? At
present it's just treating them like alphanumeric strings.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

See John Walkenbach's page on dates before 1900

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/xdate.htm

--

HTH

RP

"Terry Pinnell" wrote:

How can I convert date entries like

Sep 1883 and Mar 1867 to dates that Excel will recognise please? At
present it's just treating them like alphanumeric strings.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Excel by default cannot work with dates prior to 1900.

John Walkenbach has a downloadable(FREE) add-in that allows you to work with
these dates as dates.

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/xdate.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:46:30 +0000, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

How can I convert date entries like

Sep 1883 and Mar 1867 to dates that Excel will recognise please? At
present it's just treating them like alphanumeric strings.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

See John Walkenbach's page on dates before 1900

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/xdate.htm

Thanks both. I've installed that add-in, Bob. But although it solves
the problem of working with dates before 1900, it doesn't actually
address the specific problem I raised. With or without the add-in,
Excel will not display/sort/calculate 'Sep 1883' as a *date*. I need
to get it into the form 1-Sep-1883 or something similar.

Maybe I'll have to do it in text editor with a global replace,
tediously changing months to numbers?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Terry,

I have never used the add-in, so I can't suggest anything with that, but for
sorting could you just add a helper column and then calculate a date of 100
years on, and sort by that column?

--

HTH

RP