Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Converting string to number

hi,

I have a set of data that is to be cut and pasted from an external
source.
A typical cell reads '32813.58 sq mm', without the speech marks.
The cell could be formatted before the pasting; but how do I strip off
the units to leave the number only? The number could be any size.

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5)

Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is
constant
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"kenppy" wrote:

hi,

I have a set of data that is to be cut and pasted from an external
source.
A typical cell reads '32813.58 sq mm', without the speech marks.
The cell could be formatted before the pasting; but how do I strip off
the units to leave the number only? The number could be any size.

thanks
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Another alternative if you are pasting text into Excel is to use the text to
columns facility.

You'll find this under data - text to columns. Ask again if you need more
help on this.
--

"kenppy" wrote:

hi,

I have a set of data that is to be cut and pasted from an external
source.
A typical cell reads '32813.58 sq mm', without the speech marks.
The cell could be formatted before the pasting; but how do I strip off
the units to leave the number only? The number could be any size.

thanks
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This works but is still a string, how do I turn this to number?
thanks
says...
=LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5)

Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is
constant

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=VALUE(LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5))

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"kenppy" wrote in message
om...

This works but is still a string, how do I turn this to number?
thanks
says...
=LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5)

Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is
constant

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Under Data - Text to Columns, choose delimited. Then choose space as your
delimiter.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"kenppy" wrote in message
om...
The data is already loading into columns but the length of the stuff to
strip may not be predicted, how would this be treated?
thanks

says...
Another alternative if you are pasting text into Excel is to use the text
columns facility.

You'll find this under data - text to columns. Ask again if you need
more
help on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
No Name