Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default Converting a text word or text string to a number

How can I convert a text word (i.e. None) to a number (i.e 0)?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With a word in A1:

=LOOKUP(A1,{"none","one","two","three";0,1,2,3})

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200823

How can I convert a text word (i.e. None) to a number (i.e 0)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom wrote:

How can I convert a text word (i.e. None) to a number (i.e 0)?

Search and replace???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Gary,

I tried your formula and the returned was #N/A. I have a range of text in
A2:A81 and I want to convert the text in tec cell of the rantge to a number
in another range of cells P2:P81. Example A2 has the text of Heat and I want
P2 to be 1. Any suggestions.

Tom

How can I convert a text word (i.e. None) to a number (i.e 0)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You are going to need to show us all the possible text entries. Otherwise
there are an infinite number of possibiliities, for example

"Zero"
"None"
"Seven Trillion Eight Hundred and Fifty Nine Million Six Hundred and Thirty
Two Thousand One Hundred and Forty Nine and Twenty Three Cents"

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Tom" wrote:

How can I convert a text word (i.e. None) to a number (i.e 0)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

You need to show us the yext entries and its corresponding numbers,
or does your table have a layout which will tell us where to look for
the number related to a word?

HTH
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button below

Thank You

cheers, francis

How can I convert a text word (i.e. None) to a number (i.e 0)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

In the A2 to A81 range of cells the possible text enteries are None, heat,
Melt, Growth, Anneal, Cool, E_Cool. The corresponding numbers are None = 0,
Heat = 1, Melt = 2, Growth = 3, anneal = 4, Cool = 5, and E_Cool = 6. The
corresponding numbers need to be placed in the P2 to P81 range. For example
if A2 cell is Heat, the P2 cell needs to be 1, if the A6 cell is None, the P6
cell needs to be 0.

Tom