Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Trying to create a formula for adding and subtracting columns.

I have a class that keeps a balance of "money" they earn in school.
Each week we add the total then at the end of the month they subtract thing
s they bought. So I would need a formula that adds the total for four rows
and then subtracts in the fifth row to give me a final total.

I am new to excel and am hoping I will be able to do it without too much
trouble. I am usually a pretty quick learner.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Are you wanting only to make this calculation occur on demand at the end of
the month?

If your happy for it to just calculate as you go along then just use
"=A1+A2+A3+A4-A5" in cell A6.
This is assuming that you have the money they get in a123and4 and the things
they bought in A5 and that you want the total in A6.

If youre after it to occur on demand then this is a bit more complex you
would need to put a command button in off the control toolbox. I can tell you
how to do this if this is what you require?

"teacher206" wrote:

I have a class that keeps a balance of "money" they earn in school.
Each week we add the total then at the end of the month they subtract thing
s they bought. So I would need a formula that adds the total for four rows
and then subtracts in the fifth row to give me a final total.

I am new to excel and am hoping I will be able to do it without too much
trouble. I am usually a pretty quick learner.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Assuming your rows 1 to 4 are representing weeks within a month, and each
column is a separate month, then I think you need to change your design, as
some months will have 5 weeks.

With headings in A2:A6 being Earnings Week1, Earnings Week2 ..... Earnings
Week5 and A7 being Expenditure for Month
B1 = January, C1 February etc.
in B8 enter
=SUM(B2:B7)-B7
Drag the formula across the page through cells C8:M8 using the fill handle.
The fill handle is a small black cross that you will see if you hover over
the bottom right corner of cell B8. When you see it, hold down your left
mouse button, drag across though the cells you require, then release the
mouse button and the formulae will be copied across and adjusted to deal
with the relevant columns.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"teacher206" wrote in message
I have a class that keeps a balance of "money" they earn in school.
Each week we add the total then at the end of the month they subtract
thing
s they bought. So I would need a formula that adds the total for four
rows
and then subtracts in the fifth row to give me a final total.

I am new to excel and am hoping I will be able to do it without too much
trouble. I am usually a pretty quick learner.

signature database 4754 (20100108) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4754 (20100108) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I guess I should have mentioned that in the rows there will be student
names(24 of them) In the columns there will be dates. So this month i will
have 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29. Each week i fill in the earned money. At the
end of the month they subtract what they want to buy. So in my head the
columns should look like this :)
B+C+D+E-F=Balance (Assuming that their names are in column A.)

"Roger Govier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Then swing the formula round. I still believe you will need up to 5 columns
for Income
In H2
=SUM(B2:F2)-G2
Copy down for 24 rows