Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default adding and subtracting columns

How do I do the following:

Column B (add)
Column C (minus)
Column D (total of A minus B)

example

Column A Column B Column C Column D

Paid In 20.00 20.00
Debit 10.00 10.00
Debit 5.00 5.00
Paid In 150.00 155.00

I need the running balance in Column D - hope someone can help Im trying to
put my accounts on Excel.

Thanks
Sierra_Louise

ps: i need an IDIOTS GUIDE because Im new to Excel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming you use row 1 for headings, so that your data starts in row 2,
put this formula in cell D2:

=B2-C2

Then in D3, add this formula:

=D2+B3-C3

Then you can copy this formula to other cells in column D and it will
automatically give you the running balance.

Keep reading the posts to these newsgroups - you will quickly pick up
many tips on using Excel.

Hope this helps.

Pete

sierra_louise wrote:
How do I do the following:

Column B (add)
Column C (minus)
Column D (total of A minus B)

example

Column A Column B Column C Column D

Paid In 20.00 20.00
Debit 10.00 10.00
Debit 5.00 5.00
Paid In 150.00 155.00

I need the running balance in Column D - hope someone can help Im trying to
put my accounts on Excel.

Thanks
Sierra_Louise

ps: i need an IDIOTS GUIDE because Im new to Excel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Pete but, this is what I want:

(A) (B) (C) (D) (E)
(F)
Chq Num Date Payee Income Expenditure Balance

24.02.2006 Chris 25.00 25.00
24.02.2006 Mo 25.00 50.00
01.03.2006 Debit 45.00
5.00

I see you wrote put formaula in cell D2? then in D3 add this formula
=D2+B3-C3, but I dont understand what you mean, how do I put the formula into
the Cells in the first place, do i click on autosum ?? do I highlight the top
of the column? or do I highling the lines on the righthand side?
Also, when I am using Excel it will not type the full 25.00 it shows up as
25, how do I rectify this ?
Sorry to sound thick, but, I did explain that Ive never used EXCEL before in
my life
Thanks for your kind patience
Sierra_Louise

sierra_louise wrote:
How do I do the following:

Column B (add)
Column C (minus)
Column D (total of A minus B)

example

Column A Column B Column C Column D

Paid In 20.00 20.00
Debit 10.00 10.00
Debit 5.00 5.00
Paid In 150.00 155.00

I need the running balance in Column D - hope someone can help Im trying to
put my accounts on Excel.

Thanks
Sierra_Louise

ps: i need an IDIOTS GUIDE because Im new to Excel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You want the balance to appear in column F now, so click on cell F2 and
just type the following, exactly as it appears:

=D2 - E2

and press Enter. This should show the value 25 in cell F2, if you have
put 25 in cell D2. So now you should select cell F3 and type this
formula (again, exactly as it appears):

=F2 + D3 - E3

and press Enter. This will result in 50 being shown in the cell, as it
will take the value in F2 (i.e. 25) and add the value in D3 to it (25)
and then subtract the value in E3 (0).

In the cell below this you want a similar formula but referring to the
values in the row below, i.e.:

=F3 + D4 - E4

and this is a frequent requirement in Excel. Instead of having to
retype the formula each time, however, Excel allows you to copy a
formula and it will make the necessary adjustments to the cell
references for you.

So, select cell F3 and click the <copy icon on the toolbar - a series
of dotted lines will appear around the cell. Then click on the cell
below it (F4), hold down the <Shift key and click on F20 then release
the <Shift key - this will have highlighted the range of cells from F4
to F20, and to copy the formula into these cells all you need to do now
is press the <Enter key.

If you click on one of the cells in this block, eg F10, you will see
the formula

=F9+D10-E10

in the formula bar, although on screen the cell will display the
current balance at that point.

You can then add your data to the other cells as you go along and the
balance will update itself. You can always copy the formula from F20 to
cells below it (in a similar manner as described above) once you have
entered more than 20 rows of data.

To get all the cells in columns D E and F to display 2 decimal places,
you should click on the letters D E and F at the top of the columns
(these are called column identifiers) and this will highlight the
complete column. Then click Format from the menu at the top, then Cells
and ensure you have the Number tab selected. From the list presented to
you, you might want to select Currency and you can choose the number of
decimal places you want to display - click OK when you have finished.
The numbers will now also have the currency symbol displayed.

Hope this helps.

Pete