Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Buchup tape rotation

I am trying to put together a simple three column spreadsheet. Column A is a
tape number, column C is the date that the tape was last used for a backup
and column E is the date that the tape will be available for use again. There
is a 45 day spread between the two dates. What I want to do is when a date is
entered into column C a return date automatically fills in column E. For
example; a tape was unloaded on 11/23/09 and that date is entered into column
C. Column E should then show a return date of 1/7/10. I have tried several
different solutions and I keep getting an error message for a bad formula.
Can somebody please help me?
--
Nelson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

hi
what have you tried so far???
seem like a simple add 45 days to previous date should do it.
with the data in c2, in e2, enter

=C2+45

regards
FSt1

"Nelson" wrote:

I am trying to put together a simple three column spreadsheet. Column A is a
tape number, column C is the date that the tape was last used for a backup
and column E is the date that the tape will be available for use again. There
is a 45 day spread between the two dates. What I want to do is when a date is
entered into column C a return date automatically fills in column E. For
example; a tape was unloaded on 11/23/09 and that date is entered into column
C. Column E should then show a return date of 1/7/10. I have tried several
different solutions and I keep getting an error message for a bad formula.
Can somebody please help me?
--
Nelson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Nelson, I have just put up a worked example for you at:-

http://www.pierrefondes.com/

- number 19 at the top of the page.

Check out row 24 where you can see your specific example.

Thanks.

"Nelson" wrote:

I am trying to put together a simple three column spreadsheet. Column A is a
tape number, column C is the date that the tape was last used for a backup
and column E is the date that the tape will be available for use again. There
is a 45 day spread between the two dates. What I want to do is when a date is
entered into column C a return date automatically fills in column E. For
example; a tape was unloaded on 11/23/09 and that date is entered into column
C. Column E should then show a return date of 1/7/10. I have tried several
different solutions and I keep getting an error message for a bad formula.
Can somebody please help me?
--
Nelson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you to both of you for the info. The formula works but unless there is
info in column 'C' I get either '# VALUE' or '14-Feb-00' in column E. I am
using Office 2007, if that makes a difference. Is there any way that I can
enter the formula into all of the cells in column E and not get an error
message if there is no info(date) in column C ?
--
Nelson

"Nelson" wrote:

I am trying to put together a simple three column spreadsheet. Column A is a
tape number, column C is the date that the tape was last used for a backup
and column E is the date that the tape will be available for use again. There
is a 45 day spread between the two dates. What I want to do is when a date is
entered into column C a return date automatically fills in column E. For
example; a tape was unloaded on 11/23/09 and that date is entered into column
C. Column E should then show a return date of 1/7/10. I have tried several
different solutions and I keep getting an error message for a bad formula.
Can somebody please help me?
--
Nelson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers