Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default look up and match exact data is adjacent column

I am trying to import notes from a current data base program, which I
exported into excel, into a new database program which requires me to match a
unique case senstive ID (alpha & numeric) to an list of corresponding account
numbers from the existing database. To be clear, both databases contain the
same list of account numbers, but only the new database has the required
unique case senstive ID, which is why I need to match it with the old
database info.

I had partial success using the Lookup function, but it would not provide an
exact match.
A sample of my work can be seen below.
A B C D
1 Acct. # 1 ID Acct. # 2 Notes
2 15001 00180YlfSH 11923 Met Cathy
3 15002 00180YlFwK 12559 Met John
4 11923 00180YlFsH 15001 See Cindy
5 15023 00180YlFzV 15002 Signed form
6 15031 00180YlFtJ 15002 secured keys

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Instead of using LOOKUP, use the VLOOKUP function, with FALSE as the last
arguement (to ensure an exact match)

Example:
=VLOOKUP(A2,TableOfDate,ColumnOfDataYouWant,FALSE)

See the XL help file for futher detail/example.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M