Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default exact value from supplied Row and Column data

Column A contains countries. Row 2 contains years 1996 thru to 2005 (10
year span).
Question:
If someone tells me a country and year, I can give them the data for
that intersection asap through a formula that will look up in Column A
for that country then across that row to the cell for the year (e.g.
2000).

I have tried Vlookup, hlookup, Index....but can't get it to do what I'm
asking as each seems to want a specific row number, column letter or
value that I want the function to find.

Any ideas please?

Example 2: Column A lists varying interest rates and the row 2 lists
maybe 4 different payment options (24, 36, 48 or 60 months). Underwhich
the monthly payment would be different of course. How can I find the
answer to an interest asked without looking it up manually every time?
In addition, what if they ask for 6% when what really is listed is
5.9%.

Much appreciation here.....hope I got the right place this time for an
answer.

Deborah

PS if someone wants me to send a copy of my spreadsheet for examples, I
would be happy to oblige.