Metalteck

Default Concatenating

When I concatenate two fields, why does a large space appear between both
entries? Is there a setting that I should check out?
JE McGimpsey

Do you have leading or trailing spaces in the text you're concatenating?

In article ,
Metalteck wrote:

When I concatenate two fields, why does a large space appear between both
entries? Is there a setting that I should check out?

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=TRIM(A1 & B1)

In article ,

Yes, there seems to be spaces. Is there a command I can use to trim them down?

Metalteck

How do I get a space between the first name and last name using the trim
command?

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

=TRIM(A1 & B1)

In article ,
Metalteck wrote:

Yes, there seems to be spaces. Is there a command I can use to trim them down?

JE McGimpsey

You don't. You said you had a lot of spaces in between. TRIM() will
remove all but one.

If you need to have at least one space, try

=TRIM(A1 & " " & B1)

In article ,
Metalteck wrote:

How do I get a space between the first name and last name using the trim
command?

LMB

Is this in excel or access?

Linda

"Metalteck" wrote in message
When I concatenate two fields, why does a large space appear between both
entries? Is there a setting that I should check out?

David McRitchie

When you concatenate you could use TRIM
=TRIM(A1 & B1)

The Excel TRIM will remove spaces from left and right, and excess spaces in between.
The VBA TRIM will only remove spaces from left and right.

You might be interested in using a macro, see the TRIMALL macro at
It would be in your best interest if you first determined WHY you have
excess spaces, but the TRIMALL macro will trim text constnants (not formulas).
---
HTH,

Metalteck wrote:

When I concatenate two fields, why does a large space appear between both
entries? Is there a setting that I should check out?

LMB

Here is what I have used for Concatenating names but I am new to Excel so I
may not fully understand what you want.
Where Cell C3 is the First Name and Cell B3 is the Last Name.

=CONCATENATE(C3," ",B3)

Will yield..............FirstName LastName
Where Cell B3 has the Last Name and Cell B3 has the First Name.

=CONCATENATE(B3,", ",C3)

Will yield.............LastName, FirstName

Linda

"Metalteck" wrote in message
How do I get a space between the first name and last name using the trim
command?

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

=TRIM(A1 & B1)

In article ,
Metalteck wrote:

Yes, there seems to be spaces. Is there a command I can use to trim
them down?

John Mansfield

LMB,

This is in Excel.

John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"LMB" wrote:

Is this in excel or access?

Linda

"Metalteck" wrote in message
When I concatenate two fields, why does a large space appear between both
entries? Is there a setting that I should check out?

LMB

Thanks, John, I figured that out when I looked to see where I was. I have
been spending a lot of time in the access groups and forgot where I was.

Linda

"John Mansfield" wrote in message
LMB,

This is in Excel.