Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I post a question that Needs to show an equation that won't

Dear Excel
How do I post a question that needs to show an equation that won't be
visually coherent when viewed by this text composer/viewer.
Can I send a .jpg that shows the equation to someone ?
Thanks !
Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
How do I post a question that needs to show an equation that won't be
visually coherent when viewed by this text composer/viewer.

You appear to be using the MS Discussion Groups web interface. To my
knowledge, you cannot post attachments. I believe you are limited to text
in your postings.

If you can use Outlook Express (Windows Mail in Vista) or Outlook (I
believe), you can post to the MSnews server directly. Then you can add
attachments. I presume the attachments, and maybe even the entire posting,
are not visible to experts who use MSDG or Google Groups. (Surprisingly,
some do.) But I think the majority of knowledgable people access the MSnews
server directly. There should be sufficient critical mass for you to get
some helpful responses.

But what is it about your "equation" (formula?) that makes you think it
cannot be viewed "coherently" in a text-only article?

Perhaps a viable alternative would be to copy-and-paste the formula from the
Formula Bar, and for anything that is not "coherent" in English text,
perhaps you could just explain them, if they are relevant to your question.

In fact, if they are not relevant to your question, perhaps you could reduce
your problem to a formula that __can__ be posted "coherently" in English
text without any special work.

If you do not get any satisfactory suggestions, as a last resort, you can
send your Excel workbook to me with an explanation in email. If nothing
else, I might be able to find a way for you to post the salient information
in a text-only article. Send the workbook to joeu2004 "at" hotmail.com.

PS: Other knowledgable people in these forums know how to post
"attachments" to public web sites; then you can put the URL into a text-only
posting here. One of those people might be a better choice than I to help
you one-on-one. That's why I would consider myself a "last resort".

How do I post a question that needs to show an equation that won't be
visually coherent when viewed by this text composer/viewer.
Can I send a .jpg that shows the equation to someone ?
Thanks !
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I post a question that Needs to show an equation that w

Dear JoeU2004
I have tried to use Internet Explorer 6 to access the "you can post to the
MSnews server directly" by using the URL "http://msnews.microsoft.com/"
but I get only an error message that says "Cannot connect to the server".
Can you please tell me the steps to access the Microsoft news server ?
Thanks !
Dan

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear JoeU2004

Now I will write the equation using English language words.
The equation says " 'Z' equals tan to the minus one power times open paren
the quantity "2 times 'h' " divided by the quantity "a" times "X" close
paren.

It's the nature of the equation in a graphic sense that makes it impossible
for me to predict how I could enter a graphic representation of the equation
in this text mode thing that I could reasonably predict would be
understandable to the reader.
So, I hope the "English words" method I have given above will accurately
convey the equation, which I desparately want to enter into a cell in an
Excel spreadsheet.
My attempts to do that have all resulted in incorrect results which means I
don't have the Excel skills needed to get the job done.
Can anyone help with an Excel statement that will do what is said in the
"English words" given above ?
THANKS !
Dan

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
The equation says " 'Z' equals tan to the minus one power times open
paren the quantity "2 times 'h' " divided by the quantity "a" times "X"
close paren.

For future note, it is better to start a new thread when posting a different
topic. That way, others who are knowledgable in the area are more likely to
see the thread and offer assistance.

Perhaps this will work:

=atan(Y1) * (2 * H1 / (A1 * X1))

which can also be written:

=atan(Y1) * (2 * H1 / A1 / X1)

Of course, all of those cell references -- Y1, H1, A1 and X1 -- can be
changed. I chose them so that the relationship between the cells references
and the variables -- h, a and x -- would be clear.

As you know, the English description is ambiguous. I can see now why you
would have preferred a graphical depiction.

Some points to clarify....

"Tan to the minus one power" is ambiguous to some degree. tan(x)^-1 ("^"
means "to the power") is equivalent to 1/tan(x), whereas tan^-1(x) is
equivalent to arctan(x). I assume that you mean the latter (arctan) because
if you meant the former (1/tan(x)), you could have just as easily said "open
paren ... close paren divided by tan".

Note that the Excel ATAN function returns radians. If you need degrees,
replace ATAN(Y1) with DEGREES(ATAN(Y1)).

Also, you need to say: (arc)tan of what? Since you did not say, I invented
the quantity "y" in cell Y1. If you intended to say tan of a, h or x,
simply replace A1, H1 or X1 for my Y1.

Finally, "tan to the minus one power times ..." is ambiguous. You could
have meant tan(y)^(-1*(2*h / (a*x))). That seems unlikley to me, since that
is more easily expressed as "tan to the minus the quantity ...". But if
that is what you meant, obviously the Excel formula above is incorrect.

Aha! I wonder if you are misusing the term "times", and what you really
mean is: tan^-1(2*h/(a*x)), which is equivalent to arctan(2*h/(a*x)).

Of course, all of this would be crystal clear if I recognized the formula or
if you said what the formula computed. Unfortunately, I don't off-hand, and
you didn't.

Please post a reponse and let me know if the above formula works for you, or
if any of the "points to clarify" come closer to what you need.

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
Can you please tell me the steps to access the Microsoft news server ?

Does the following help?

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsA...roupUsers.aspx

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear JoeU2004
That URL you sent at cpearson would work just fine, but,
my Internet Service Provider (Time Warner Roadrunner) dropped their NNTP
server last December, and no longer supports any news groups at all.
So I will have to search and find an ISP that does support news groups.

However, your last, and well worded, reply gives me enough starting points
to work through getting the formula entered into an Excel cell.

Thanks so much JoeU2004 !
You're done with this one !
Dan

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear JoeU2044

In answer to your well taken point, the formula is used to calculate the
"base-to-a-side" angle in degrees, as part of a set of formulas that
calculate the wood cut bevel cut and side-cutting angles for the sides of a
pyramid of "h=height", and "a=length of a leg of the base of a pyramid", for
a pyramid of "X number of sides".

I am something of a cabinet maker and the capability to easily calculate all
the angles and lengths for a pyramid that can have any number of sides is
quite a good thing for me.

Thanks again so much JoeU2004 ! ! !
Dan

PS My use of the word "times" is indicative of a multiplication such as
three "times" four equals twelve.

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
That URL you sent at cpearson would work just fine, but, my Internet
Service Provider (Time Warner Roadrunner) dropped their NNTP
server last December, and no longer supports any news groups at all.

Same with my ISP, Comcast.

You should just try the instructions. They will probably work. Be sure to
read the section titled "Connection To Newgroups".

Your ISP does not need to support its own NNTP server. You are using the
msnews.microsoft.com server instead.

Theoretically, it is possible that Time Warner blocks connections to the
standard NNTP destination port (119) for any destination IP address (for
msnews.microsoft.com, in this case). But that is unlikely.

There is a way for you to test this.

1. On the Windows desktop toolbar, click Start, then Run. In the Open file,
type "cmd" without quotes, then click OK. That should open a cmd.exe
window.

2. In the cmd.exe window, enter the following command: telnet
msnews.microsoft.com 119

3. You should get output that looks something like the following:

200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed

4. If you do, enter the following command: quit

That should terminate the telent command. But in any case, you can close
the cmd.exe window.

(Ironically, this might fail for another reason, and connecting to
msnews.microsoft.com through OE might work after all. But I'm betting that
TW does not restrict internet access in the ways that I can imagine they
might theoretically.)

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

September 7, 2009 11:30PM PST

Dear JoeU2004
There are 4 replies in this note, from least to most significant, which are -
1. I can't use the Microsoft news server because my ISP doesn't support news
groups ( i.e. they (Time Warner Road Runner) don't provide any NNTP server.
so the help at the cpearson site is no help to me.

2. In answer to your well taken point, the formula is used to calculate the
"base-to-a-side" angle in degrees, as part of a set of formulas that
calculate the wood cut bevel cut and side-cutting angles for the sides of a
wood
pyramid of "h=height", and "a=length of a leg of the base of a pyramid", for
a pyramid of "X number of sides".
I am something of a cabinet maker and the capability to easily calculate all
the angles and lengths for a pyramid that can have any number of sides is
quite a good thing for me.
PS My use of the word "times" is indicative of a multiplication such as
(three "times" four equals twelve).

3. I got this and other formulas from the pdf at
http://pages.swcp.com/awa/images/pdf%20files/Angle.pdf
I have been referring to 'Formula # 2' in that document,
which gives the graphic representation of the equation.

4. Given n(number of sides)=6 in Cell C10,
a(length of a base leg)=2 in Cell D10,
and h(height of the pyramid)=6 in Cell E10,
then the Excel statement
=DEGREES(ATAN((2*E10)*(D10*F10))) is not giving the predicted value of 73.90
degrees and I am stumped by that.
Can you help in any way with this ?

Thanks !!
Dan

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
In answer to your well taken point, the formula is used to calculate the
"base-to-a-side" angle in degrees, as part of a set of formulas that
calculate the wood cut bevel cut and side-cutting angles for the sides
of a pyramid

Well, I wouldn't mind if you sent me that JPG or other depiction of the
formula in email. My trig skills are a little rusty (i.e. 40 years of
rust), so I don't think I can derive the formula from scratch on my own. A
Google search did not turn up anything for me.

PS My use of the word "times" is indicative of a multiplication such as
three "times" four equals twelve.

I don't doubt that you know what the word "times" means. I was wondering if
it is possible that you misinterpreted some depiction of the formula. For
example, in math, it is common to write x(y+z) to mean "x times the quantity
y plus z". Along the same lines, I wonder if you might be reading tan^-1(2h
/ ax), where here "^-1" means "superscript -1", as "tan to the -1 power
times the quantity ...", when actually it should be read as "arctan of the
quantity ...".

That makes some sense to me, especially now that I understand the context.

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I wrote:
I wouldn't mind if you sent me that JPG or other depiction of the formula
in email.

You can disregard this request. Our posting crossed on the "ether". The
PDF link you posted is just what I wanted.

And....

I wonder if you might be reading tan^-1(2h / ax), where here
"^-1" means "superscript -1", as "tan to the -1 power times the
quantity ...", when actually it should be read as "arctan of the quantity
...".

It appears that my speculation was exactly right.

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
3. I got this and other formulas from the pdf at
http://pages.swcp.com/awa/images/pdf%20files/Angle.pdf
[....]
4. Given n(number of sides)=6 in Cell C10,
a(length of a base leg)=2 in Cell D10,
and h(height of the pyramid)=6 in Cell E10,
then the Excel statement
=DEGREES(ATAN((2*E10)*(D10*F10))) is not giving the predicted value of
73.90

I presume that F10 is k (kappa), a constant that is dependent on the number
of sides, namely:

=TAN( PI()/2 - PI()/C10 )

Then phi, the angle the face triangle makes from the horizontal plane of the
pyramid base, is:

=DEGREES( ATAN( 2*E10 / D10 / F10 ) )

or if you prefer:

=DEGREES( ATAN( 2*E10 / (D10*F10) ) )

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
There are 4 replies in this note, from least to most significant, which
are -

1. I can't use the Microsoft news server because my ISP doesn't support
news
groups ( i.e. they (Time Warner Road Runner) don't provide any NNTP
server.
so the help at the cpearson site is no help to me.

This thread has gotten very complicated to follow. In case you missed my
response to your previous posting about this.....

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I use TimeWarner here in Austin Texas for msnews ngs with NO problems
toolsoptionsadd

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I wrote:
2. In the cmd.exe window, enter the following command:
telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119

3. You should get output that looks something like the following:
200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed

FYI, my sister has the same ISP that you have, and this procedure works for
her.

So, again, you should have no problem following Chip's instructions for
setting up OE to access the MSnews server. "No problem", that is, with your
ISP and the physical connection.

Note: I assume you are using Win XP, not Vista.

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear JoeU2004
Well, now I need two more solutions which are

1) The equation # 4 regarding tau = tan-1( 1 / tan(Phi)*(cos(Theta)))
is giving me fits.
My best attempt to do it in Excel is =DEGREES(ATAN((1/(TAN(J10)*COS(H10)))))
where J10 = 73.9, and H10 = 80.90.
But that statement in Excel gives me the result of -5.6630
and not the correct result of 61.29.

and

2) The Saw Angle equation in Figure 3 regarding (Tau sub C = ( pi / 2 ) -
Tau )
is one that I can't even approach yet. My attempt with
=DEGREES((PI()/2)-Tau) of course doesn't work.

Can you help me get these last two into Excel from the document at
http://pages.swcp.com/awa/images/pdf%20files/Angle.pdf

Many thanks for any advise or help.
Dan

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
Well, now I need two more solutions

I'll summarize of all of the formulas in the document.

F10, kappa: =TAN( PI()/2 - PI()/C10 )
H10, theta: =DEGREES( ATAN( SQRT( (2*E10/D10)^2 + F10^2 ) ) )
J10, phi: =DEGREES( ATAN( 2*E10 / (D10*F10) ) )
K10, tau:
=DEGREES( ATAN( 1 / ( TAN(RADIANS(J10)) * COS(RADIANS(H10)) ) ) )
L10, b: =SQRT( E10^2 + (D10*F10/2)^2 )
M10, 90-tau: =DEGREES( PI()/2 - RADIANS(K10) )
N10, r from a: =D10 / ( 2 * SIN( PI()/C10 ) )
O10, r: 2
P10, a from r: =2 * O10 *SIN( PI()/C10 )

"90-tau" is the complement of tau ("t sub c"). The formula can be
simplified significantly, namely:

M10, 90-tau: =90 - K10

FYI, the function ATAN(y/x) can be replace by ATAN2(x,y). That can be
confusing. But the tau formula might be easier to read by using ATAN2:

K10, tau:
=DEGREES( ATAN2( TAN(RADIANS(J10)) * COS(RADIANS(H10)), 1) )

"r from a" computes the radius "r" of a circle that circumscribes the
pyramid face base "a".

Alternatively, if you fill in "r" in O10, "a from r" computes the face base
"a" of a pyramid that is circumscribed by the circle of radius "r".

?

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers