Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default filling a column

I'm not an experienced excel user. I'm trying to fill a column with times
beginning with 8:45 AM through 3:00 PM. This is painful. I can fill but the
increment is one hour. I need to know how to change it to 5 minutes. Should
I just give up and type the numbers in????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Assume column is A

In A1 enter 8:45 AM

In A2 enter =A1+5/1440

Drag/copy down to 3:00 PM

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:22:01 -0700, Mary M. <Mary
wrote:

I'm not an experienced excel user. I'm trying to fill a column with times
beginning with 8:45 AM through 3:00 PM. This is painful. I can fill but the
increment is one hour. I need to know how to change it to 5 minutes. Should
I just give up and type the numbers in????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way:
=TIME(8,45+(ROW()-1)*5,0)

I started in Row 1, so I wanted 8:45 there.

If I started in row 10, then I'd subtract 10
=TIME(8,45+(ROW()-10)*5,0)

And drag down.

Then when you're done, convert the formulas to values.
Select the range
edit|copy
Edit|paste special|values

Mary M. wrote:

I'm not an experienced excel user. I'm trying to fill a column with times
beginning with 8:45 AM through 3:00 PM. This is painful. I can fill but the
increment is one hour. I need to know how to change it to 5 minutes. Should
I just give up and type the numbers in????

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

wrote:

I'm not an experienced excel user. I'm trying to fill a column with
times beginning with 8:45 AM through 3:00 PM. This is painful. I can
fill but the increment is one hour. I need to know how to change it
to 5 minutes. Should I just give up and type the numbers in????

As another user of Excel who only uses it in a quite simple manner
compared to some of you power users...
Firstly, thanks for the above solution, and now to my question.

I have a column of times, increasing in 5 minute time increments from 8:00
to 10:00 (2 hours) if I SUM that column I get a time of 9:00 Bhaaa! so
I'm an idiot.

What do I need to do to total that column and get the correct answer of
2 hours?

Thanks
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

A1 is 8:00 AM

A25 is 10:00 AM

=(A25-A1)*24 returns 2 when formatted as General

Gord

wrote:

I'm not an experienced excel user. I'm trying to fill a column with
times beginning with 8:45 AM through 3:00 PM. This is painful. I can
fill but the increment is one hour. I need to know how to change it
to 5 minutes. Should I just give up and type the numbers in????

As another user of Excel who only uses it in a quite simple manner
compared to some of you power users...
Firstly, thanks for the above solution, and now to my question.

I have a column of times, increasing in 5 minute time increments from 8:00
to 10:00 (2 hours) if I SUM that column I get a time of 9:00 Bhaaa! so
I'm an idiot.

What do I need to do to total that column and get the correct answer of
2 hours?

Thanks
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In article ,
Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
A1 is 8:00 AM

A25 is 10:00 AM

=(A25-A1)*24 returns 2 when formatted as General

Gord

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:05:17 +0100, Dave Symes
wrote:

[Snip]

As another user of Excel who only uses it in a quite simple manner
compared to some of you power users... Firstly, thanks for the above
solution, and now to my question.

I have a column of times, increasing in 5 minute time increments from
8:00 to 10:00 (2 hours) if I SUM that column I get a time of 9:00
Bhaaa! so I'm an idiot.

What do I need to do to total that column and get the correct answer of
2 hours?

Thanks, that works a treat.

Dave