Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel document or word

I have setup a public folder on our server giving all rights & permission so
that the three of us can share forms, documentations and spreadsheets. What
happens is that I created a spread sheet and I saved it in the public folder,
and when one of my colleague tries to add information to it, she cannot save
it at all. The message tells her it's a read only file. Can you help me in
setting it up so that whoever creates the document anyone of us can add or
suppress data from that document?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Check with your systems people that the folder that was set up on the server
is not set to read only. Just beacuse you requested read/write access for
these people does not mean the "actually" allocated it.

Make sure that the file you have saved there is not being saved as aread
only file by you.

Also, it may be worth setting the file to a shared workbook for your purposes.

See Tool, Share Workbook on the menu bar

Cheers

John

"lonewolfe55" wrote:

I have setup a public folder on our server giving all rights & permission so
that the three of us can share forms, documentations and spreadsheets. What
happens is that I created a spread sheet and I saved it in the public folder,
and when one of my colleague tries to add information to it, she cannot save
it at all. The message tells her it's a read only file. Can you help me in
setting it up so that whoever creates the document anyone of us can add or
suppress data from that document?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Just one other thought to add to John's response: Make sure you (or anyone)
do not have the file open when someone else tries to access it or it will be
Read Only (according to what I know).