ceegar

Default how do I automatically add row numbers in column

Carole O

Do you want the row numbers in column A? Insert a column, enter 1 in A1,
then click on the lower right part of the cell, and drag it down. This is
probably the easiest way to do this.

Carole O

gls858

ceegar wrote:

did you see the answer from JE McGimpsey in the other thread you started?

one way:

A1: =ROW()

Copy down as far as necessary.

Another way is 1 in A1 2 in A2 highlight both cells then drag
it from the right hand corner down the column.

gls858
Gord Dibben

Carole

With a 1 only in A1 you cannot drag/copy down using left mouse button or you
will get all 1's as you have discovered.

With a 1 in A1, RIGHT-click and drag down. Release button and select "fill
series" from the menu that pops up.

Best to go with JE's advice with the =ROW()

If you delete a row, you don't have to make any alterations.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP