Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Filter drop down box in pivot table

I recently upgraded to Excel 2007 and I'm having difficulty with pivot
tables. I have a pivot table with three report filter fields. In previous
versions-2003, once I select criteria in the first filter drop down box, the
second filter drop down box would only show me a subset of the original data
based on the first filter. Once I select the criteria in the 2nd filter pull
down box, the the 3rd filter pull down box would only show me a subset of the
source data based on the first two filters applied (i.e. there are fewer
choices after each query). In 2007, I noticed that once I select criteria in
the first report filter pull down box, the 2nd pull down box shows all
filtering options - i.e. there is no relationship to the first query criteria
that has already been defined. Is there a way to reslove this? I hope this
makes sense.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The page filters in previous versions of Excel worked the same way as
the Report filters in Excel 2007. There's no dependency between the
page/report filters.

The AutoFilter drop downs work the way you describe -- maybe that's what
you're remembering.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

If you are really talking about the Report Filter area = Page Area (2003), I
can't duplicate your issue - for me it works the same in both versions.
However, it works the way you describe for 2007, in 2003. The Page Area
filters do not reduce to showing only the releveant items.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire