Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Simple Formula Questions (I hope)

Hi guys I hope this is simple. I have had a hunt around as I'm sure it has
been answered before but my search concept is off the mark...

Anyway I'm putting together a spreadsheet to work as an order from for about
220 people to order a variety of merchandise (for work) and I want excel to
do the maths on order numbers and costs for me.

At the moment I have the following formula doing what I want:

C13=PRODUCT(B13*B11)

Unfortunately though B13 goes all the way through to B224. Is there a way
without individually doing each cell that I can automatically make it become
D13=PRODUCT(D13*B11), E13=PRODUCT(E13*B11) etc.

Similarly I have a another formula X13=SUM(C13,E13,
G13,I13,K13,M13,O13,Q13,S13,U13,W13,Y13) is there a way to automatically make
this apply across individual rows all the way to 224 without doing it
individually? so it would become X14=SUM(C14,E14,
G14,I14,K14,M14,O14,Q14,S14,U14,W14,Y14) etc.

These are probably the simplest questions you've had for a while but at the
moment I look like I'm doing each formula individually ... I'm sure that
can't be the only option.

Thanks in advance.

Jas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try in C13
=PRODUCT(B13*$B11)
and copy across to D13,E13....

Second one can be copied down as it is

"Logues" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks

Sum formula sorted as per advice below.

I've adjusted the Product one as you suggest but when I drag it down Column
C I get an Error in C14. I realised that that is becasue I'm an idiot and
what I actually want is:

C13=PRODUCT(B13*B11) to become C14=PRODUCT(B14*B11), C15=PRODUCT(B15*B11) etc.

Sorry ... got my columns and rows mixed up

Jas

"Logues" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Why are you using PRODUCT with the multiplication operator ?
I sometimes wear a belt and braces but one would do! <gr
Either =PRODUCT(B13, $B$11)
or just = B13*$B$11
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Logues" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Nobody is an idiot... I don't know Spanish, French, Mandarin etc etc, that
does not make me an idiot :-)

You got your solution from Bernard.

Pl. remember that if you have a $ in front of the letter (Column) and/or
number (row number) then that part of the formula does NOT change when you
copy across or down...

If there is no $ then letter changes (column) when dragged/copied right and
number (row) changes when dragged/copied down.