Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I copy a list from Works to Excel?

I have a telephone list in A Works data base. I copied and pasted it to
Excel. I would like to mail merge, but when I go to Word and try to retrieve
the list, it is not there. However,when I do a print preview in Excel, it
shows up. What did I do wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Did you save the excel file?

Did you put the list in the leftmost worksheet?

You may want to ask in an MSWord forum.

But...

You may want to read some tips for mailmerge.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge

The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave
Rado.

And if you notice problems with the formatting of data (like zipcodes)...

Debra Dalgleish posted this:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
I often cheat instead of racking my brain.

I'll insert another column (probably hidden!) and use:
=text(a2,"ddmmyy")
or
=text(a2,"mm:ss.0")
or
=text(a2,"00000")
(or whatever format I want)
and use that field in the mailmerge.

(Cheating doesn't bother me anymore <vbg.)

--

Dave Peterson