Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default help with formula - newbie

New job and I need to make a formula for a calculation I do several times a
day I am getting very bored with using a calculator first then typing the
result into my spreadsheet. No one else at work needs to do this or knows
how to do it better.

I start with an amount which is always over $50,000.00 (and up to
100,000,000.00)
It needs to be rounded up to the next thousand such as $456,789.89 to
$457,000 (roundup,-3)
then made into thousands (457)
then multiplied by $14.00 per thousand (457 x 14)
then the result added to $358.00

I can make excel do each part but when I put them together, chaos

thanks for any help you can offer

Diane

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"DianeI" wrote:
It needs to be rounded up to the next thousand [...] then made into
thousands (457)
then multiplied by $14.00 per thousand (457 x 14)
then the result added to $358.00

=roundup(A1,-3)/1000*14+358

New job and I need to make a formula for a calculation I do several times
day I am getting very bored with using a calculator first then typing the
result into my spreadsheet. No one else at work needs to do this or knows
how to do it better.

I start with an amount which is always over $50,000.00 (and up to
100,000,000.00)
It needs to be rounded up to the next thousand such as $456,789.89 to
$457,000 (roundup,-3)
then made into thousands (457)
then multiplied by $14.00 per thousand (457 x 14)
then the result added to $358.00

I can make excel do each part but when I put them together, chaos

thanks for any help you can offer

Diane

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Wow, thanks for the fast response. I was putting brackets in between the
elements.

But I'm sorry to say I forgot one element. The beginning figure (say in A1)
has to have 50,000.00 subtracted from it before all the rest of the stuff
happens. I just tried to add it to the formula but obviously I put it in the
wrong place, because, no go.

Do you have time to try one bit more?

Thanks so much.

Diane

"JoeU2004" wrote in message
"DianeI" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"DianeI" wrote:
But I'm sorry to say I forgot one element. The
beginning figure (say in A1) has to have 50,000.00
subtracted from it before all the rest of the stuff happens.

In your original example, you used an "initial" value of $456,789.89. If
you now mean that the initial value is really 506,789.89, then:

=roundup(A1-50000,-3)/1000*14+358

I just tried to add it to the formula but obviously
I put it in the wrong place, because, no go.

For future reference, it is best to post the formula that you tried. First,
it avoids our making the same mistakes due misunderstandings. Second, you
might get two lessons for the price of one: the answer to your question,
and an explanation of where you went wrong.

"JoeU2004" wrote in message
"DianeI" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks so much for your patience and help. I'll try to follow group
procedure next time I write in as I see it's way more organized that way.

Your solution works great and I'm grateful. I'd bake you a cake......

Thanks again.

Diane