Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Unable to password-protect "VeryHidden" worksheet

Hello

I'm using Excel 2007. In VBE I tried to password-protect a "VeryHidden"
worksheet by going to VBAProject Properties, Protection, check the box on
"Lock project for viewing" and set the password in the boxes as provided.

However, each time I re-open the file (after saving and closing the file),
the worksheet was not protected. When I check the VBAProject Properties, the
check box of "Lock project for viewing" and the "Password to view project
properties" are all back to its original state of unchecked/empty.

Please advise what steps I've missed to do the password protection.

Many thanks
--
exalan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

There are different 'levels' of protection in Excel
You can password protect the workbook to protect its overall structure
You can password protect individual worksheets to protect their structure
You can password protect the VBA project to protect code from changes.

I think what you want to do is go into the VB Editor and make your
VeryHidden sheet visible for just a moment and then go back into Excel and
select that sheet and use Tools -- Protection -- Protect Sheet and assign a
password to the sheet and then go back into the VB Editor and make the sheet
Very Hidden again.

I'm not certain why your protection of the VBA Project is not working -
sounds to me like you did everything properly to me. But remember, the
protection of the worksheet is a separate process that is independent of VBA
Project protection.

"exalan" wrote:

Hello

I'm using Excel 2007. In VBE I tried to password-protect a "VeryHidden"
worksheet by going to VBAProject Properties, Protection, check the box on
"Lock project for viewing" and set the password in the boxes as provided.

However, each time I re-open the file (after saving and closing the file),
the worksheet was not protected. When I check the VBAProject Properties, the
check box of "Lock project for viewing" and the "Password to view project
properties" are all back to its original state of unchecked/empty.

Please advise what steps I've missed to do the password protection.

Many thanks
--
exalan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for the response.

The reason I want to make the worksheet "VeryHidden" is I don't want user to
see the worksheet at all (the way I manage the data in the worksheet, the
formulas used etc...).

It's strange that I still can't do the password-protect in VBA Project when
I can do it in the 2003 version.

--
exalan

"exalan" wrote:

Hello

I'm using Excel 2007. In VBE I tried to password-protect a "VeryHidden"
worksheet by going to VBAProject Properties, Protection, check the box on
"Lock project for viewing" and set the password in the boxes as provided.

However, each time I re-open the file (after saving and closing the file),
the worksheet was not protected. When I check the VBAProject Properties, the
check box of "Lock project for viewing" and the "Password to view project
properties" are all back to its original state of unchecked/empty.

Please advise what steps I've missed to do the password protection.

Many thanks
--
exalan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I understand why you're using the VeryHidden sheet - I do the same myself
from time to time, and I'm sure others do the same for much the same reasons.

Did you manage to get it protected?

To be honest, I don't use 2007 much myself and haven't had occassion to
protect the VBA Project in a 2007 file yet, so I can't talk much about how
well it does or doesn't function.

"exalan" wrote:

Hello

I'm using Excel 2007. In VBE I tried to password-protect a "VeryHidden"
worksheet by going to VBAProject Properties, Protection, check the box on
"Lock project for viewing" and set the password in the boxes as provided.

However, each time I re-open the file (after saving and closing the file),
the worksheet was not protected. When I check the VBAProject Properties, the
check box of "Lock project for viewing" and the "Password to view project
properties" are all back to its original state of unchecked/empty.

Please advise what steps I've missed to do the password protection.

Many thanks
--
exalan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, I'm able to hide the rows containing data and then protect the worksheet
using Review - Protect Worksheet option. I'll use this option in the
meantime...

Many thanks

--
exalan