Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default finding where a file is stored

2003 Excel used to tell you where the file was if you did a Save-As. Now it
doesn't. How do I find where a file is currently stored?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

What do mean by 'now it doesn't...'

Nothing has changed...

Anyway use this in any cell
=CELL("filename",A1)
to see the complet path and file name
"Catherine" wrote:

2003 Excel used to tell you where the file was if you did a Save-As. Now it
doesn't. How do I find where a file is currently stored?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you for your time. Perhaps I was mistaken about the version. I used
to be able to go to Save-As, and a window popped up that showed me the
directory structure where the file was saved. i could then choose where to
save the file or rename it and save it somewhere else in a different
directory. I have an excel file that I don't know where it is stored. How
do I find where my open excel file is stored?

"Catherine" wrote:

2003 Excel used to tell you where the file was if you did a Save-As. Now it
doesn't. How do I find where a file is currently stored?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Which version are you using now?

If it is Excel 2007 then click on the office button on the top-left of the
screen near where you would have seen FILE option...

You will see the SAVE AS option there...

You can also press ALT-F together and then A

"Catherine" wrote:

2003 Excel used to tell you where the file was if you did a Save-As. Now it
doesn't. How do I find where a file is currently stored?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you again for your time. I must not be making myself clear. Here is
my question:

How do I find where my open excel file is stored while I am in the file?

Please address this question alone.

"Catherine" wrote:

2003 Excel used to tell you where the file was if you did a Save-As. Now it
doesn't. How do I find where a file is currently stored?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Catherine

If you are using XL 2007, you can add something to the QAT (Quick Access
Toolbar) which will show the location of each file that you have loaded.
Click the Round office buttonExcel OptionsCustomiseclick dropdown for All
Commandsscroll down to Document LocationAdd.

Now you will see the file location on the QAT.

--
Regards
Roger Govier