Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to graph x-variable versus y-variable in Excel ?

I feel this is a very basic challenge ....
but it seems beyond my ability ...... I after much trial and error .... i
humbly approach the masters' feet !!!

I have tried to draw simple graphs plotting x versus y and i am having
difficulties because the choices are not in excel "chart layout" to plot
simple quadratic functions.

I'm trying to plot the various flows in a river versus the percent time they
are exceeded.
i have my columns of figures but I cannot find the correct "chart layout".

I imagine this is a very basic challenge because this is what we used to
have to do in Maths, physics, Chemistry classes every day for years and by
hand ...
so I apologise if this seems a 'wate of your time' .... but believe me I
will be "eternally grateful" for assistance in this .....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Have you tried an XY chart - this is the only one to use when x-values are
really numeric and not just categories
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mojjara" wrote in message
I feel this is a very basic challenge ....
but it seems beyond my ability ...... I after much trial and error .... i
humbly approach the masters' feet !!!

I have tried to draw simple graphs plotting x versus y and i am having
difficulties because the choices are not in excel "chart layout" to plot
simple quadratic functions.

I'm trying to plot the various flows in a river versus the percent time
they
are exceeded.
i have my columns of figures but I cannot find the correct "chart layout".

I imagine this is a very basic challenge because this is what we used to
have to do in Maths, physics, Chemistry classes every day for years and by
hand ...
so I apologise if this seems a 'wate of your time' .... but believe me I
will be "eternally grateful" for assistance in this .....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks very much .... ( i assumed the "XY-scatter" plots offered in excel
were for point-plots rather than my 'hopefully' smooth curves !!)

"spot on !!" ... the right man in the right place at the right time ... keep
it uop !

by the way the email notification "link" of your post wouldn't work (outlook
2007) so it took me ages to "find" you .... but that's another day's work
..... right ?

Again many thanks
mojjara - the original questionairee !

"Mojjara" wrote in message
I feel this is a very basic challenge ....
but it seems beyond my ability ...... I after much trial and error .... i
humbly approach the masters' feet !!!

I have tried to draw simple graphs plotting x versus y and i am having
difficulties because the choices are not in excel "chart layout" to plot
simple quadratic functions.

I'm trying to plot the various flows in a river versus the percent time
they
are exceeded.
i have my columns of figures but I cannot find the correct "chart layout".

I imagine this is a very basic challenge because this is what we used to
have to do in Maths, physics, Chemistry classes every day for years and by
hand ...
so I apologise if this seems a 'wate of your time' .... but believe me I
will be "eternally grateful" for assistance in this .....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

When posting to newsgroup, it is a good idea to use an incorrect email
address. This cuts down on spam. Typically one need to remove UPPERCASE
letter to get the real address. But generally one replies to the newsgroup
as you did.
Glad I was of help; the terms Line and XY charts causes many to make the
false assumption that an XY chart cannot have lines!!

best wishes