Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Conditional data validation drop downs

Good afternoon,

I want to set up drop down's that bring up criteria to be selected based on
a previous data drop down selection, i.e. let's say column A has drop downs
consisting of various areas within a building, i.e. Ceiling Void, Roof,
Ceiling, Floor etc. Based on what is selected in A1 the drop down criteria
in B1 should relate only to what could apply to the selection in A1. I.e.
If Ceiling Void is selected in A1 then the user should only be allowed to
select, for example, from Fire Break, Pipe Lagging, Fire Break, Feature
Panels etc in B1. If however 'Roof' is selected in A1 then the user should
only be allowed to choose from, for example, AC Sheet, Debris, Skylight,
Gutter etc.

I have set up the various validation criteria and named the Location range
but can't seem to get my head around how to insert a conditional type formula.

Any help? Please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Here are the steps for creating a dynamic data validation list:

1. Create three or more list in the spreadsheet. For example:
A B C
New York Quebec Canada
Seattle Toronto US
Miami Victoria

You would name lists: US (A1:A3), Canada (B1:B3), Countries (C1:C2) this
last is optional

2. Select the cell where you want the initial validation list, for this
example, D1
3. Choose Data, Validation
4. From the Allow drop-down and choose List
5. In the Source box enter the following formula
=Countries
6. Move to the location where you want the dynamic (changing) list to
appear, say for example E1
7. Choose Data, Validation, List and in the Source box enter the formula
=INDIRECT(D1)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire