Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default percentage

parker has 136 votes (d7)
allen has 5059 (b7)
webb has 4704(c7)
if allen takes 66% of parker votes and
webb takes 24% of parker votes what will parker have left.

because I had to add total votes i did =d7*.66+b7 and =d7*.24+c7
WHAT WILL BE THE FORMULA TO GET PARKER REMAINING VOTES
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way:

=D7-SUM(ROUND(D7*{0.66,0.24},0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Shone33" wrote in message
parker has 136 votes (d7)
allen has 5059 (b7)
webb has 4704(c7)
if allen takes 66% of parker votes and
webb takes 24% of parker votes what will parker have left.

because I had to add total votes i did =d7*.66+b7 and =d7*.24+c7
WHAT WILL BE THE FORMULA TO GET PARKER REMAINING VOTES

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Feb 16, 7:20*am, Shone33 wrote:
parker has 136 votes (d7)
allen has 5059 (b7)
webb has 4704(c7)
if allen takes 66% of parker votes and
webb takes 24% of parker votes what will parker have left.

because I had to add total votes i did =d7*.66+b7 and =d7*.24+c7
WHAT WILL BE THE FORMULA TO GET PARKER REMAINING VOTES

When 66% goes to Allen and 24% to Webb, so it is obvious that only 10%
(100-(66+24)) will remain for Parker.
=D7-(D7*.66+D7*.24)
What was the point with this question?
First when I looked to Valko's reply I told to myself, wow what a
formula is it!?! It took seconds for me to figure out what is it
exactly, but should appreciate his talent on giving unique answers
even to very simple questions. I always watch his replies as every
time I learn a new thing.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I always watch his replies as every time I learn a new thing.

Thank you for the compliment.

OK, what do you think of this?

D7 = 137

A vote has a value of 1. There are no half votes or decimal portions of a
vote. At least, that's how I read it!

=D7-(D7*0.66+D7*0.24)

Returns 13.6

So you need to round the result of each multiplication operation:

D7*0.66 = 90.42
D7*0.24 = 32.88

ROUND(D7*0.66,0) = 90
ROUND(D7*0.24,0) = 33

137-SUM(90,33) = 13 votes left for Parker

You might "luck out" where the numbers involved don't need rounding:

D7 = 140

But you never know what the numbers involved might be so you're safer using
the rounding method.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP