Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default excel formula

If parker has 136 votes and allen will receive 66% of parker votes and then
webb will receive 24% of parker votes. and then parker will keep the
remaining votes. what formula do i use. I tried =SUM(D7*0.66+B7). this
formula also added webb and allen current votes. was this formula correct?

windows vista home premium, service pack 1 and excel 2007.

I am fairly new to excel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Some thoughts ..

Don't understand your logic and how it all gells,
but as posted, your formula below contains redundancy
=SUM(D7*0.66+B7)

Above could be written as either
=SUM(D7*0.66,B7)

or simply:
=D7*0.66+B7

Suggest you start a new thread for your underlying query. Elaborate further
exactly what you have (eg what's in D7 - another formula?, a value?, what
does D7 stand for, what's in B7, etc. Explain with sample data, & expected
results.
--
Max
Singapore
"Shone33" wrote:
If parker has 136 votes and allen will receive 66% of parker votes and then
webb will receive 24% of parker votes. and then parker will keep the
remaining votes. what formula do i use. I tried =SUM(D7*0.66+B7). this
formula also added webb and allen current votes. was this formula correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I have a 4 canidates. I have allen, webb, parker, and write in.
parker has 136 votes
allen already has 5059 votes and will take 66% of parker votes
webb already has 4704 votes and will take 24% of parker votes
what ever is left will remain parker. I want to know is the formula that I
used =SUM(D7*0.66+B7) correct to get each individual total votes

"Shone33" wrote:
If parker has 136 votes and allen will receive 66% of parker votes and then
webb will receive 24% of parker votes. and then parker will keep the
remaining votes. what formula do i use. I tried =SUM(D7*0.66+B7). this
formula also added webb and allen current votes. was this formula correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

ok, I'd presume this is what you have in B6:D7 :

allen webb parker
5059 4704 136

Then to compute it consistent with your description
you could have:
In B8: =D7*0.66+B7
In C8: =D7*0.24+C7
In D8: =D7*(1-0.66-0.24)

B8:D8 should return the results that you seek
(Formula in D8 is left intentionally as-is to make it clear what's happening)