Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Trying to reference a cell

Here is a newbie question.
I am using Excel 2007.
I had been using a Excel 2007 for a year now and I have to make changes to
it now.
About 6 categories that I have to keep up with have been dropped from a
report that I use.
When I deleted those categories from the spreadsheet, I get a invalid
reference on the sheet.
In cell A24, I am trying to reference the contents in cell A58.
I type in cell A24, =A58, and what I get is an equal sign with a blue 58 to
the right of the = sign.

Bottom 3 Categories

Product

Group
This Year
Last Year
Net

Sales ($)
Sales ($)
Sales ($)

=a58

180171
0
0
0

=a9

170117
125
235
-110

=a41

60400
5302
4746
556

Total :

446

Top 3 + Bottom 3 =

576

The contents in A58 is something like "bathroom".
I would like cell A24 to be filled in with the word "bathroom".
A58 is marked as "text".
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

--
R. Khoshravan
Please click "Yes" if it is helpful.

I type in cell A24, =A58, and what I get is an equal sign with a blue 58 to
the right of the = sign.

I think you get a blue =A58 and not just 58

The contents in A58 is something like "bathroom".
I would like cell A24 to be filled in with the word "bathroom".

Do you get something different?

The safest way I use when you are forced to delete some rows as you report
format as changed, instead of deleting them, just hide them.
When some of cells on those deleted ones are used elsewhere, you will get an
error on the cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I finally figured it out.
The cell was formatted for "number" instead of text or general.
When I changed the format to "general" ,everything was fine.
Thanks