Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Set a value every 5 cells

There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
In the cell from B1 to B10 is empty (no value).

My question is that I want a excel formule would performance a task which it
can put a value e.g.1 every "5" cells. So, in my example, after setting the
formula, "1" will incorporate in the cell B5 and B10. Do you think an Excel
function can achieve the result according my requirement?

Many thanks, Wilchong

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You should always ask the question you actually want an answer to rather
than asking a simplified question (your e.g. suggests this is not the
question you really want an answer to)... the odds are the solution to the
simpler problem will not be able to easily be modified to handle the real
question. Anyway, here is a formula to do what you asked...

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"1","")

Put it in B1 and copy it down.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"wilchong via OfficeKB.com" <u43231@uwe wrote in message
There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
In the cell from B1 to B10 is empty (no value).

My question is that I want a excel formule would performance a task which
it
can put a value e.g.1 every "5" cells. So, in my example, after setting
the
formula, "1" will incorporate in the cell B5 and B10. Do you think an
Excel
function can achieve the result according my requirement?

Many thanks, Wilchong

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear Rick,
Thanks a lot, it works extremely well!

Thanks,
Wilchong

Rick Rothstein wrote:
You should always ask the question you actually want an answer to rather
than asking a simplified question (your e.g. suggests this is not the
question you really want an answer to)... the odds are the solution to the
simpler problem will not be able to easily be modified to handle the real
question. Anyway, here is a formula to do what you asked...

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"1","")

Put it in B1 and copy it down.

There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Many thanks, Wilchong

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear Rick,
Your suggested formula working very well. However, when I move the B1 to B2,
B2 to B3,€¦€¦etc. The result is different. The value is not located in the
five, it is located in the first 4th cell of B5, however, my correspondence
colume in colume A shows 4.

Do you think I can put a range e.g. column A2:A11 in the function ROW()?

Many thanks,
Wilchong

Rick Rothstein wrote:
You should always ask the question you actually want an answer to rather
than asking a simplified question (your e.g. suggests this is not the
question you really want an answer to)... the odds are the solution to the
simpler problem will not be able to easily be modified to handle the real
question. Anyway, here is a formula to do what you asked...

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"1","")

Put it in B1 and copy it down.

There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Many thanks, Wilchong

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If I understand your question correctly, try this formula...

=IF(MOD(ROW(A1),5)=0,"1","")

where I have put in the A1 (use that no matter what row you put the formula
in) inside the ROW function call.