valeter

Default Remember and add

I am very new to excell and have tried to solve this problem myself but
with no success. What i am trying to do is to put a number into one
cell say A1, and i will use for (example the no 1) then the number in
A1 (no1) will be put into say A3. Then next time, say i put a 2 into A1
i want A3 to show 3. I am trying to keep a running total without having
to add up all the time, i just want to input a number into a cell and
let it automatically add up. Please explain in easy English as i am
very green, any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

--
valeter
Max

Try JE McGimpsey's page at:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Look for:
- Single cell accumulator
- Worksheet Function Accumulator (using Circular References)
--
Rgds
Max
"valeter" wrote in message

I am very new to excell and have tried to solve this problem myself but
with no success. What i am trying to do is to put a number into one
cell say A1, and i will use for (example the no 1) then the number in
A1 (no1) will be put into say A3. Then next time, say i put a 2 into A1
i want A3 to show 3. I am trying to keep a running total without having
to add up all the time, i just want to input a number into a cell and
let it automatically add up. Please explain in easy English as i am
very green, any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

--
valeter

Gord Dibben

valeter

Are you sure you want to do this?

Think about it after reading the following.

You can have a cumulative total in a cell if you have a
separate source cell for adding a new total to the original.

Use at your own risk. I am Posting this just to show you how it can
be done, not as a good solution. You would be much better off to
have another column so you can keep track of past entries.

Goes like this: =IF(CELL("address")="$C$4",C4+D4,D4)

Enter this in cell D4 and then in ToolsOptionsCalculation check
Iterations and set to 1.

Now when you change the number in C4, D4 will accumulate.

Note 1. If C4 is selected and a calculation takes place anywhere in
the Application D4 will update even if no new number is entered in
C4. NOT GOOD.

Note 2. This operation is not recommended because you will have no
"paper trail" to follow. Any mistake in entering a new number in C4
cannot be corrected. NOT GOOD.

To clear out the accumulated total in D4 and start over, select D4
and EditEnter.

Check out Laurent Longre's MoreFunc.xla. Has a Function RECALL
which does what you want without the re-calculation problem, but
again there is no "paper trail" for back-checking in case of errors
in data input.

http://longre.free.fr/english/func_cats.htm

Having said that, check out J.E. McGimpsey's site for VBA methods.

http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP