Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default COMPARE 2 SPREADSHEETS

Hello again,

This forum is so hopeful to me, it sure gave me a boost in my position at
work.
Thank you all.

I have now an urgent request for help. I have 2 spreadsheets each 10
columns and 500 rows. Column "G" is identical all other columns have
different information. I have to combine the two spreadsheets.

Rather I have to insert column "D" from spreadsheet 1 to spreadsheet 2.
Column "G" is indentical in both spreadsheets.

If I can get an answer for this will help me a lot. I hope I made it clear.

Thank You

--
smile
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way:

If column G is truly IDENTICAL, just copy Column D on Sheet 1 and paste
to Sheet2.

If instead, the information in Column G on sheet 2 is the same as that
in Column G in sheet1, but perhaps in a different order, put this in
column K of sheet 2:

K1: =INDEX(Sheet1!D:D, MATCH(G1,Sheet1!D:D,FALSE))

In article ,
israel wrote:

Hello again,

This forum is so hopeful to me, it sure gave me a boost in my position at
work.
Thank you all.

I have now an urgent request for help. I have 2 spreadsheets each 10
columns and 500 rows. Column "G" is identical all other columns have
different information. I have to combine the two spreadsheets.

Rather I have to insert column "D" from spreadsheet 1 to spreadsheet 2.
Column "G" is indentical in both spreadsheets.

If I can get an answer for this will help me a lot. I hope I made it clear.

Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

In Sheet2,
Assuming data starts in row2 down, and you want to extract it into col D
In D2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(G2,Sheet1!G:G,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!D :D,MATCH(G2,Sheet1!G:G,0)))
Copy D2 down to extract data from Sheet1's col D* for the matched values in
col G.
*that's the col specified in this part: .. INDEX(Sheet1!D:D

The above will do the job even if the order of the match values in col G in
both Sheet1/2 are different
--
Max
Singapore