Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formula - count Nº of entries but with other filtering criteria

Hi,
I'm trying to produce a formula that will count the number of times a name
appears in one column, but only when a number value in a second column is
GREATER than a number value in a third column:

A B C
Name Passed Failed
2 Bloggs 5 3
3 Smith 4 4
4 Jones 3 4
5 Bloggs 1 2
6 Smith 5 4
7 Jones 2 2
8 Bloggs 6 1
9 Smith 4 2
10 Jones 0 4

For example, in the table above the name 'Smith' appears three times, but
only twice does the number of 'Passes' exceed the number of 'Failures'. I
need the formula to return me a value of '2' for 'Smith'.

(I can isolate the name 'Smith' (A2:A10="Smith") but it's the rest of the
formula where I specify the other filtering criteria that I'm having
difficulty with).

Thanks,
Steve.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B10C2:C10),--(A2:A10="Smith"))

In article ,
Struggling in Sheffield