Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Help - Conditional Sums

Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am
trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation.

What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught
by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in
Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a
formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for
attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that
will give the total for the entire column, when what I need it to do is only
add the numbers in Column B that have the word "Dave" directly next to them
in Column A. And then repeat for "Cary".

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Thank you!

-Dave B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I suggest you try subtotals, as the total number of people by the teacher
would appear under each column for both Dave and Carry separately

Data subtotals
--
Thanks
Suleman Peerzade

"Dave B" wrote:

Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am
trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation.

What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught
by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in
Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a
formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for
attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that
will give the total for the entire column, when what I need it to do is only
add the numbers in Column B that have the word "Dave" directly next to them
in Column A. And then repeat for "Cary".

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Thank you!

-Dave B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Another way is a pivot table. Drag th column title that contains thier names
into either the row or column section of the pivot table layout and the
column title that contains the attendance figures into the data area. Then
as the data changes or is added to you can change the range area if needed to
include the new rows, or refresh if only the numbers change in the same
range. You will love pivot tables...give it a try.