Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default Help - Conditional Sums

Take a look at SUMIF() in XL Help.

In article ,
Dave B wrote:

Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am
trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation.

What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught
by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in
Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a
formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for
attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that
will give the total for the entire column, when what I need it to do is only
add the numbers in Column B that have the word "Dave" directly next to them
in Column A. And then repeat for "Cary".

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Thank you!

-Dave B