Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Ron is offline

Default a button to add 1 to a cell

I need to create a button that will ADD 1 to a cell everytime I click it.
Actually 3 bottons (1,5,10). I will need to repeat these buttons for 50
students to their total score. I don't know if this matters. I don't mind
creating buttons as long as they're easy to program.
Help Obe Wan
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: a button to add 1 to a cell

Hello Obe Wan,

To create a button that will add 1 to a cell every time you click it, you can follow these steps:
  1. Go to the Developer tab in the Excel ribbon. If you don't see the Developer tab, you can enable it by going to File Options Customize Ribbon and checking the box next to Developer.
  2. Click on the Insert button in the Controls group and select the Button control.
  3. Draw the button on the worksheet where you want it to appear.
  4. Right-click on the button and select "Assign Macro".
  5. In the Assign Macro dialog box, click on the "New" button to create a new macro.
  6. In the Visual Basic Editor, enter the following code:

    Formula:
    Sub AddOne()

    ActiveCell.Value ActiveCell.Value 1
    End Sub
    This code will add 1 to the active cell whenever the button is clicked.
  7. Close the Visual Basic Editor and click "OK" in the Assign Macro dialog box.
  8. Test the button by clicking on it and verifying that the cell value increases by 1.

To create buttons for adding 5 and 10, you can follow the same steps but modify the code in step 6 to add 5 or 10 instead of 1. For example:

Formula:
Sub AddFive()

ActiveCell.Value ActiveCell.Value 5
End Sub

Sub AddTen
()

ActiveCell.Value ActiveCell.Value 10
End Sub
To repeat these buttons for 50 students, you can copy and paste the buttons to each student's worksheet. You can also use the "Format Painter" tool to copy the formatting of the buttons to other cells.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To keep from needing 150 macros, just use 3. Here are your macros, put
them into your sheet first.

Code:
--------------------
Sub Add1()
Selection.Value = Selection.Value + 1
Beep
End Sub

Sub Add5()
Selection.Value = Selection.Value + 5
Beep
End Sub

Sub Add10()
Selection.Value = Selection.Value + 10
Beep
End Sub

--------------------
Now turn on the Forms Toolbar, draw a button and select Add1 macro. Draw
another and select Add5, and the third uses Add10. Edit the text on the
buttons.

Now, the buttons will add the values noted to the currently selected
cell. If you don't like the "beeps" delete them, I thought the audible
confirmation the macro ran and the number was added was a good thing in
this situation.

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Ron is offline

I don't understand "put them into your sheet first"
I am using Access 2007 if that helps.
How do I "put" them?
Thanks again,
Ron

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I believe JBeaucaire meant the VBA sheet first. However, you just mentioned
that you are using Access, and this is the Excel newsgroup. Are you in the
right forum? If you meant Excel...

From spreadsheet, right click on sheet name, choose "view code". Paste
JBeaucaire's code there.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default I believe JBeaucaire meant the VBA sheet first.

Hello... This is almost exactly what I am trying to do, I have the "add 1" macro as discribed above working for one selected cell...

But I am trying to add 1 to the individual values of multiple cells when the "add 1" macro is ran. Can the code be modified to add 1 to the individual values of a predetermined group of cells? In my case it would be B2:B173...

Thank you!!!

On Monday, January 12, 2009 2:43 AM JBeaucaire wrote:

[...]

I do not understand "put them into your sheet first"

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

On Monday, January 12, 2009 3:25 PM Luke wrote:

I believe JBeaucaire meant the VBA sheet first. However, you just mentioned
that you are using Access, and this is the Excel newsgroup. Are you in the
right forum? If you meant Excel...

From spreadsheet, right click on sheet name, choose "view code". Paste
JBeaucaire's code there.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sub add_1_to_range()
Dim rng As Range, ocell As Range
Set rng = Range("B2:B173")
For Each ocell In rng
If ocell.Value < "" And Application.IsNumber(ocell.Value) Then
ocell.Value = ocell.Value + 1
End If
Next
End Sub

Gord Dibben Microsoft Excel MVP

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

On Monday, January 12, 2009 3:25 PM Luke wrote:

I believe JBeaucaire meant the VBA sheet first. However, you just mentioned
that you are using Access, and this is the Excel newsgroup. Are you in the
right forum? If you meant Excel...

From spreadsheet, right click on sheet name, choose "view code". Paste
JBeaucaire's code there.
--