Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel +won't +merge cells in a column. Is my formatting blocking .

--
Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Rather cryptic message in the body? More details on the cells to be merged
and messages returned if any.

Cheers,
Shane DEvenshire

"Blue Heeler1" wrote:

--
Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ditto Blue Heeler's prob. I want to merge Col. A and Column B. (Last name =
Col. A; First name = col. B) I can select both, but where to I find a merge
command? The "merge and center" command is not lit up so that won't work.

"Blue Heeler1" wrote:

--
Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You wouldn't want to do that in any case. That's not what "merging" means.

"Merge" button merges the selected cells but will drop any data except for
the top left cell of the selection.

What you want is to "combine" the two columns.

In C1 enter =A1&" "&B1

Copy down.

Be thankful you have no access to the merge and center button.

You save yourself no end of grief.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Blue Heeler1" wrote:

--
Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel +won't +merge cells in a column. Is my formatting blocki

Whew. Thanks for saving me from myself!

"Blue Heeler1" wrote:

--
Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards