Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
chaucersmom chaucersmom is offline

Default Excel +won't +merge cells in a column. Is my formatting blocki

Whew. Thanks for saving me from myself!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You wouldn't want to do that in any case. That's not what "merging" means.

"Merge" button merges the selected cells but will drop any data except for
the top left cell of the selection.

What you want is to "combine" the two columns.

In C1 enter =A1&" "&B1

Copy down.

Be thankful you have no access to the merge and center button.

You save yourself no end of grief.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:33:00 -0800, chaucersmom
wrote:

Ditto Blue Heeler's prob. I want to merge Col. A and Column B. (Last name =
Col. A; First name = col. B) I can select both, but where to I find a merge
command? The "merge and center" command is not lit up so that won't work.

"Blue Heeler1" wrote:

--
Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards