Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Color shading on cells with same numeric content on three digit ce

Has made a numerical database containing three numbers in each cell and
includes zeros, double and triple digit content. Note that leading zeros
unseen and now having thousands of cells on my database. How can I command,
(ex: 123, 132, 231, 213, 312, 321) be look up and color shade?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Assumptions: A1 contains the 3 digit 'code' to enter. Note: If this is
entered as text, then you don't need the A2 line, and just change all the A2
references from A3:A8 to A1. The first solution is if the numbers you are
comparing your 3 digits to are actual numbers and not text.
A2: =TEXT($A$1,"000")
A3: =--$A$2
A4: =--(LEFT($A$2,1)&RIGHT($A$2,1)&MID($A$2,2,1))
A5: =--(RIGHT($A$2,1)&LEFT($A$2,2))
A6: =--(RIGHT($A$2,1)&MID($A$2,2,1)&LEFT($A$2,1))
A7: =--(MID($A$2,2,1)&LEFT($A$2,1)&RIGHT($A$2,1))
A8: =--(MID($A$2,2,1)&RIGHT($A$2,1)&LEFT($A$2,1))
Then I named the range from A3:A8 to CheckList. CheckList is each of 6
possible combinations for a given 123 number.
Finally, my conditional formatting formula, assuming I am beginning to check
cells B1 to whatever, highligh selection, (and with B1 as active cell), go to
Conditional Formatting, change the first dropdown to formula is, and your
formula is:
=AND(B1<"",NOT(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B1,CheckList,1,FALSE) )))
If, however, your table of numbers is actually text, and not numbers, then
all you need to do is remove all the double dashes from A3:A8

Hope this helps!
--
** John C **
Please remember if your question is answered, to mark it answered :). It