Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Relational Techniques... there's got to be a better way

HI all. I've got a database that I read from via MS Query; no big deal
with that. However I need to relate data in tables in a manner that
just isn't possible with Query. The first solution I came up with is to
have individual sheets as lookup tables - flat queries - with the data
I need. Then I have a primary sheet that uses VLookup to gather the
data from the individual sheets. It's as if I had a RDMS and was
looking stuff up in tables by a key.

It works fine, except for updating. If I refresh the main sheet, the
data in the other sheets doesn't automatically refresh, unless I use
the timer in the properties, which sux.

I've seen mention of implementing this technqiue using sheets as a data
source, just like a query to an external database. Would something like
this solve my refressh problem? That is, eliminating the VLookup and
replacing it with some kind of sheet to sheet or worksbook to workbook
connection? Is there a 'refresh hierarchy"?

TIA
Mike