Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Calculating a daily rate when the rate could be fixed or variable

I am working on calculating a yealy cost for a service provider. The fixed
rate in this section is $12.00 per day which will be multiplied by a certain
number of hours within a year. However, the provider is also given a blank
"exception" cell in this row in which to enter a different rate of their
chosing (could be different each time). How can I write a formula stating if
the "exception" cell is blank to look to the $12.00 daily rate and multiply
that by the hours per year. And vice versa, if there is an amount in the
exception cell, to use that daily rate and not the $12.00 fixed rate. Hope I
have explained that well enough. Thank you. C
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try this

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),B1*number of hours,12*number of hours)

Where B1 is the exception cell. Substitute 'number of hours' for the
formula/address you use to get this value.

Mike

"cjgd1064" wrote:

I am working on calculating a yealy cost for a service provider. The fixed
rate in this section is $12.00 per day which will be multiplied by a certain
number of hours within a year. However, the provider is also given a blank
"exception" cell in this row in which to enter a different rate of their
chosing (could be different each time). How can I write a formula stating if
the "exception" cell is blank to look to the $12.00 daily rate and multiply
that by the hours per year. And vice versa, if there is an amount in the
exception cell, to use that daily rate and not the $12.00 fixed rate. Hope I
have explained that well enough. Thank you. C

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Column A is number of Hours
Column B is fixed rate of $12
Column C is Variable, if no special rate, enter 0.00
Column D is "=if(C1=0,A1*B1,A1*C1)"