Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Generating auto Number

Hi There,
I am new to this. I have one problem. I have a workorder sheet, and I want
the work order to be numbered, so everytime I make new workorder, a number
will be added. How do I do that? any idea?
--
nandu
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200805

"Nandu" wrote:

Hi There,
I am new to this. I have one problem. I have a workorder sheet, and I want
the work order to be numbered, so everytime I make new workorder, a number
will be added. How do I do that? any idea?
--
nandu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In addition to what Gary's student responded, you could also add a
helper column with this formula:

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK(B1)),ROW(),"")

For example if your data was in column B, starting in B1, put this
formula in an adjacent column and fill it down as needed. As you add
data to column B, the numbers will fill in.

Of course, you won't be able to sort the data, because the numbers
will change, unless you copy and paste the formula values first, then
reinsert the formula after you're done.

--JP