Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KoE KoE is offline

Default If, And, Or ...or something else

I would like to have, say:

cells C7 & D7 to turn into red when G7="a"; blue when G7="b"; yellow when
G7="c". Cells C7 & D7 are constant; only G7 changes. This will go on with the
following rows.

I've downloaded and read the sample from office online help but the closest
I could find was "shadow an entire row when several criteria must be true"
but I can't emulate the formula into mine.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

1) Select C7 and D7
2) Hold CTRL and select G7
3) Open Conditional Formatting dialog, use Formula IS =$G$7="a"
and set colour
4) Add second condition with =$G$7="b", etc
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"KoE" wrote in message
I would like to have, say:

cells C7 & D7 to turn into red when G7="a"; blue when G7="b"; yellow when
G7="c". Cells C7 & D7 are constant; only G7 changes. This will go on with
the
following rows.

I've downloaded and read the sample from office online help but the
closest
I could find was "shadow an entire row when several criteria must be true"
but I can't emulate the formula into mine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KoE KoE is offline

Prof Liengme,

the $ symbol would make those cells absolute; thus i modified the formula to
only:

G7="A" and set the conditional format for cell C7:D7;G7 and so forth for
other conditions (A,B & C conditions).

But, when the condition is applied to cell G7, only cell C7 changes and
nothing else.

My idea was that I would copy and paste the format onto other corresponding
rows underneath.

"KoE" wrote:

orait!...many thanks :-)

"KoE" wrote in message
I would like to have, say:

cells C7 & D7 to turn into red when G7="a"; blue when G7="b"; yellow when
G7="c". Cells C7 & D7 are constant; only G7 changes. This will go on with
the
following rows.

I've downloaded and read the sample from office online help but the
closest
I could find was "shadow an entire row when several criteria must be true"
but I can't emulate the formula into mine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KoE KoE is offline

I've found the solution, so i thought some other newbies might benefit...so
here it goes:

same approach as Prof Liengme's, but remove the absolute reference ($) from
row number; eg. =$G$7="a" becomes =$G7="a"

"KoE" wrote:

Prof Liengme,

the $ symbol would make those cells absolute; thus i modified the formula to
only:

G7="A" and set the conditional format for cell C7:D7;G7 and so forth for
other conditions (A,B & C conditions).

But, when the condition is applied to cell G7, only cell C7 changes and
nothing else.

My idea was that I would copy and paste the format onto other corresponding
rows underneath.

"KoE" wrote:

orait!...many thanks :-)