-   -   If, And, Or ...or something else (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/197946-if-something-else.html)

KoE

If, And, Or ...or something else

I would like to have, say:

cells C7 & D7 to turn into red when G7="a"; blue when G7="b"; yellow when
G7="c". Cells C7 & D7 are constant; only G7 changes. This will go on with the
following rows.

I've downloaded and read the sample from office online help but the closest
I could find was "shadow an entire row when several criteria must be true"
but I can't emulate the formula into mine.

Bernard Liengme

If, And, Or ...or something else

1) Select C7 and D7
2) Hold CTRL and select G7
3) Open Conditional Formatting dialog, use Formula IS =$G$7="a"
and set colour
4) Add second condition with =$G$7="b", etc
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"KoE" wrote in message
I would like to have, say:

cells C7 & D7 to turn into red when G7="a"; blue when G7="b"; yellow when
G7="c". Cells C7 & D7 are constant; only G7 changes. This will go on with
the
following rows.

I've downloaded and read the sample from office online help but the
closest
I could find was "shadow an entire row when several criteria must be true"
but I can't emulate the formula into mine.

KoE

If, And, Or ...or something else

orait!...many thanks :-)

"KoE" wrote in message
I would like to have, say:

cells C7 & D7 to turn into red when G7="a"; blue when G7="b"; yellow when
G7="c". Cells C7 & D7 are constant; only G7 changes. This will go on with
the
following rows.

I've downloaded and read the sample from office online help but the
closest
I could find was "shadow an entire row when several criteria must be true"
but I can't emulate the formula into mine.

KoE

If, And, Or ...or something else

Prof Liengme,

the $ symbol would make those cells absolute; thus i modified the formula to
only:

G7="A" and set the conditional format for cell C7:D7;G7 and so forth for
other conditions (A,B & C conditions).

But, when the condition is applied to cell G7, only cell C7 changes and
nothing else.

My idea was that I would copy and paste the format onto other corresponding
rows underneath.

"KoE" wrote:

orait!...many thanks :-)

"KoE" wrote in message
I would like to have, say:

cells C7 & D7 to turn into red when G7="a"; blue when G7="b"; yellow when
G7="c". Cells C7 & D7 are constant; only G7 changes. This will go on with
the
following rows.

I've downloaded and read the sample from office online help but the
closest
I could find was "shadow an entire row when several criteria must be true"
but I can't emulate the formula into mine.

KoE

If, And, Or ...or something else

I've found the solution, so i thought some other newbies might benefit...so
here it goes:

same approach as Prof Liengme's, but remove the absolute reference ($) from
row number; eg. =$G$7="a" becomes =$G7="a"

"KoE" wrote:

Prof Liengme,

the $ symbol would make those cells absolute; thus i modified the formula to
only:

G7="A" and set the conditional format for cell C7:D7;G7 and so forth for
other conditions (A,B & C conditions).

But, when the condition is applied to cell G7, only cell C7 changes and
nothing else.

My idea was that I would copy and paste the format onto other corresponding
rows underneath.

"KoE" wrote:

orait!...many thanks :-)